Are you looking for a nice place to enjoy a gluten free meal with friends in Brattleboro, Vermont? Or maybe you are looking for a quick place to grab a gluten free meal on the go? Well either way, you are in the right place! In this article, we discuss all of our favorite restaurants, food trucks, and cafes in Brattleboro.
For each restaurant that we discuss, we will provide additional information on a set of characteristics to help you determine whether that restaurant suits your preferences. We start this article out by outlining those characteristics. After that, we will spotlight some of our absolute favorite spots in Brattleboro. Finally, we will discuss a few other spots that we do not visit as frequently, but have still had good experiences with.
Characteristics of gluten free restaurants in Brattleboro
For each of the restaurants that we discuss in this article, we will provide information to help you determine whether that restaurant suits your preferences. Here are the characteristics we will use to provide additional information on each of these restaurants.
- Gluten free status. First, we will discuss the gluten free status of each restaurant. Specifically, we will provide information on whether each restaurant is dedicated to gluten free food or not. If a restaurant is not dedicated to gluten free food, we will provide additional information to help assess the risk of cross contamination.
- Other dietary restrictions. After we discuss the gluten free status of each restaurant, we will then discuss any other food allergens and dietary restrictions that each restaurant caters to. Some of these restaurants cater specifically to gluten free foodies, whereas others can accommodate a wide range of food allergies and dietary preferences.
- Cuisine. Next, we will discuss the type of food that is served at each restaurant. This will include information on the type of cuisine that is sold at each restaurant, as well as information on specific specialties that each restaurant has.
- Atmosphere. After that, we will discuss the atmosphere at each restaurant. This will include everything from the decor and ambiance at the restaurant to the level of formality at the restaurant.
- Location. Next, we will discuss the location of each restaurant. We will discuss whether each restaurant is located right in the heart of the town, or whether it is located a little farther out in the suburbs.
- Seating. Finally, we will discuss the seating options that are available at each restaurant. This will include information on whether indoor or outdoor seating is available. It will also include information on whether reservations are recommended.
Best gluten free restaurants in Brattleboro
Now that we have laid out the characteristics that we will use to provide information on each of these gluten free restaurants, we will discuss some of our absolute favorite gluten free restaurants in Brattleboro. These are our favorite spots in the area that we visit whenever we are in town. Note that these restaurants are listed roughly in order of preference, with our favorite spots appearing near the top of the list.
Dosa Kitchen Factory and Food Truck
Dosa Kitchen Factory and Food Truck is without a doubt our favorite place to eat in the Brattleboro area. As the name suggests, this is a cute little food truck that specializes in dosas. While they do serve a few other Indian dishes, we would never leave their food truck without grabbing one of their dosas – they are amazing! Not only that, but they are also entirely gluten free. All of the food that they serve at their food truck is entirely gluten free. That means that there is no need to worry about cross contamination here. The Dosa Kitchen food truck is an outdoor food truck that primarily has outdoor seating available. It is set up in a convenient area with lots of parking, picnic tables, and greenery around.
- Gluten free status. The Dosa Kitchen food truck is a dedicated gluten free food truck. Nothing that they sell contains gluten.
- Other dietary restrictions. Dosa Kitchen also has plenty of vegetarian and vegan options available. Vegetarian and vegan options are clearly labeled on their menu. They have some seriously yummy options for vegetarian and vegan diners.
- Cuisine. The Dosa Kitchen food truck is an Indian food truck that focuses on South Indian cuisine. As the name suggests, they specialize in dosas. They serve a range of different dishes that combine freshly cooked dosas with a variety of different toppings and fillings. Some of these toppings and fillings are more traditional, whereas others are more unique.
- Atmosphere. The Dosa Kitchen food truck is a casual outdoor food truck.
- Location. The Dosa Kitchen food truck is located a little bit outside of the main downtown area in Brattleboro. It is located on a fairly quiet street that has a few schools and food stores on it. The parking lot is nestled up against rolling hills with lots of trees and greenery, so this is a really fun spot for those who love the great outdoors. It is the perfect destination for a picnic.
- Seating. The Dosa Kitchen food truck is an outdoor food truck that primarily has outdoor seating available. There is generally one small table that is located in the factory building behind their food truck. That being said, most people grab a dosa and enjoy it at their outdoor picnic tables. Some of the tables are covered and some are uncovered.
Cai’s Dim Sum Catering
Cai’s Dim Sum Catering is a fun little takeout spot that specializes in Chinese food, and particularly in Sichuan cuisine. They serve a variety of small plates like buns or dumplings, as well as some larger dishes like stir fries. While they are not a dedicated gluten free facility, many of the items can be made gluten free upon request. The staff are also knowledgeable about cross contamination. While all of the food here has been decent enough, they have some stellar items that really stand out from the others. We recommend checking out some reviews and ordering some of the more popular items if you plan to stop here.
- Gluten free status. Cai’s Dim Sum Catering is not a dedicated gluten free restaurant. That being said, a large portion of their menu can be made gluten free upon request. The owners are conscious about cross contamination and know how to cook food that is safe for people with celiac disease. Items that are or can be made gluten free are clearly labeled on the menu.
- Other dietary restrictions. Cai’s Dim Sum Catering also offers options for vegetarian and vegan diners. Items that are or can be made vegan and vegetarian friendly are clearly labeled on the menu.
- Cuisine. Cai’s Dim Sum Catering is a Chinese restaurant that serves Chinese-inspired dishes. They serve some small plates that are common at dim sum-style restaurants, but they also serve some larger dishes. Much of their food is inspired by Sichuan cuisine.
- Atmosphere. Cai’s Dim Sum Catering is a takeout place that does not have a dine-in area.
- Location. Cai’s Dim Sum Catering is located a little bit outside of the main downtown area in Brattleboro. Specifically, it is located to the west of the main downtown area, near West Brattleboro. Cai’s is located on a popular street that has a few other shops and restaurants on it, but it is not located in a particularly walkable area so we usually drive there.
- Seating. Cai’s Dim Sum Catering is a takeout spot that only offers pick up and delivery. There is not a dining area at the restaurant where you can eat.
Other gluten free restaurants in Brattleboro
Before we log off, we will take a moment to mention a few other spots in Brattleboro that offer gluten free food that is safe for those with celiac disease. These are spots that we have only been to once or twice, so do not have as much to say about them as the spots mentioned in the section above. Nonetheless, they still have some yummy gluten free options.
Superfresh! Organic Cafe
Superfresh! Organic Cafe is a cute and colorful little cafe that is located in the heart of downtown Brattleboro. Not only is Superfresh a dedicated gluten free establishment, but it is also a dedicated vegan establishment that is very allergy friendly. That means that it is a great option if you have a lot of different food allergies and dietary restrictions in your party. Superfresh serves healthy versions of traditional American classics like quesadillas, grilled cheese sandwiches, and burgers. They make as much of their food as possible from raw organic ingredients, so this is a great spot for the health conscious crowd.
Against the Grain Factory Store
If you are a fan of Against the Grain gluten free products, then you can’t miss the Against the Grain Factory Store. This is a little shop that is set up near the Against the Grain factory where they sell a combination of packaged foods and freshly cooked foods. In terms of fresh food, they most commonly serve baked goods like cupcakes and muffins. That being said, they sometimes also carry more savory goodies. The Against the Grain Factory Store has a rotating menu that varies based on what types of flavors they are currently experimenting with in their factory.
- Best North American cities for gluten free food
- Gluten free restaurants in Manchester, New Hampshire
- Gluten free restaurants in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Boston, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Burlington, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Lowell, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Portland, Maine
- Gluten free restaurants in Montpelier, Vermont
- Gluten free restaurants in Providence, Rhode Island