Are you looking for an upscale restaurant where you can celebrate a special occasion with a gluten free meal in Houston? Or maybe you are looking for a more low key spot where you can enjoy a nice gluten free brunch? Well either way, you are in the right place! In this article, we discuss all of our favorite restaurants that offer gluten free options in the Houston area.
For each restaurant we discuss in this article, we provide information on a certain set of characteristics to help you decide which restaurant best suits your preferences. We start this article out by laying out those characteristics. After that, we discuss some of our favorite restaurants that offer gluten free options in the Houston area.
Characteristics of gluten free restaurants in Houston
Here are the characteristics that we will use to provide information on each Houston restaurant that we discuss in this article.
- Gluten free status. First, we will discuss the gluten free status of each restaurant. This will include information on whether the restaurant is a dedicated gluten free facility, or whether they also serve products that contain gluten. If a restaurant is not a dedicated gluten free facility, we will also provide information that can be used to help assess the risk of cross contamination.
- Other dietary restrictions. Next, we will provide information on other allergies and dietary restrictions that each restaurant caters to. Some of these restaurants can service a range of dietary restrictions, whereas others are primarily known for their gluten free offerings.
- Cuisine. After that, we will provide information on the food that is sold at each restaurant. This will include information on the main type of cuisine that is served at each restaurant, as well as information on any specialties that the restaurant has.
- Atmosphere. Next, we will provide information on the atmosphere at each restaurant. This will be a broad category that will include information on everything from the decor and ambiance to the energy level.
- Location. After that, we will provide information about the location of each restaurant. Some of these restarts are located in Houston proper, whereas others are located in the suburbs of Houston.
- Seating. Finally, we will provide information on the seating that is available at the restaurant. This will include information about whether indoor seating or outdoor seating is available. It will also include information about whether reservations are recommended.
Gluten free restaurants in Houston
Now that we have laid out the characteristics we will use to provide additional information on each restaurant in Houston, we will discuss some of our favorite restaurants in the Houston area that offer gluten free options. Note that these restaurants are ordered roughly in order of preference, with our favorite spots appearing closer to the top of the list.
Xochi is an upscale Mexican restaurant that primarily serves Oaxacan food. They are particularly well known for their wide selection of moles, most of which are gluten free. Xochi is a seriously popular spot that is located in a central location right in the heart of downtown Houston. That means that it is always buzzing with excitement. This is a really fun spot to grab a drink with friends or celebrate an occasion. While most of the desserts are made with gluten, the brunch and dinner menus are almost entirely gluten free. There are generally one or two dishes that have bread crumbs sprinkled on top of them after they are done cooking, but other than that there is not much gluten that is used in the main food menu.
- Gluten free status. Xochi is not a dedicated gluten free restaurant. That being said, the vast majority of the food that they serve is gluten free. They serve dessert items that contain gluten and there are generally one or two dishes on the food menu that they sprinkle bread crumbs on top of, but other than that the menu is entirely gluten free. That means that the chances of cross contamination are relatively low. The kitchen staff are also knowledgeable about cross contamination and the servers are sure to leave notes for the kitchen staff when they encounter someone with an allergy or celiac disease.
- Other dietary restrictions. Xochi also has vegetarian and vegan options available. They have a separate menu that showcases items that are or can be made vegan friendly and vegetarian friendly.
- Cuisine. Xochi is a Mexican restaurant with a menu that is largely inspired by Oaxacan cuisine. They are particularly well known for serving a large range of moles.
- Atmosphere. Xochi is an upscale Mexican restaurant with carefully curated decor and a nice ambiance. The restaurant is decorated with sleek modern furniture and has a large space that is brightly lit up with a combination of traditional lights and some more unique fixtures. There are decorative accents that make reference to Mexican culture sprinkled throughout the restaurant. These accents prevent the space from feeling too sterile. This is a popular spot right in the center of downtown, so they almost always have at least a moderately sized crowd. This is a common place for people to go to celebrate an occasion or take a date out for a nice meal, so the restaurant is always buzzing with excitement.
- Location. Xochi is conveniently located right in the heart of downtown Houston. Specifically, it is located right on the corner of the Discovery Green in downtown.
- Seating. Xochi has both indoor and outdoor seating available. This is a popular spot that is located right in the heart of downtown Houston. It is particularly popular during the weekend, so we highly recommend making a reservation at least a few days ahead of time if you plan to attend during weekend brunch or dinner. If you plan to attend during off hours on a weekday, it is sometimes possible to walk in without a reservation.
Amrina is an upscale Indian restaurant with an inventive menu that takes small bits of inspiration from other Asian cuisines. Of all of the restaurants we have been to in the Houston area, we would say that Amrina has both the most creative dishes and the most delicious dishes. If you are looking for a nice place where you can take someone for a special dinner, then this is one of the top spots on our list. In addition to the food being delicious, the ambiance is also amazing. The restaurant is carefully decorated with lavish accents and creative lighting fixtures that make Amrina feel like a truly luxurious spot. Other than the samosas and bread items, the vast majority of the food that is served at Amrina is gluten free, so this is a relatively good bet for people who are sensitive to cross contamination.
- Gluten free status. Amrina is not a dedicated gluten free restaurant. That being said, the majority of the menu is naturally gluten free or can easily be made gluten free. Most of the entrees are or can easily be made gluten free and it is primarily sides like breads or samosas that cannot be made gluten free. Arima has a labeled gluten free menu that makes it easy to understand what can and cannot be made gluten free. Their waitstaff are careful to alert the kitchen when someone has an allergy or celiac disease.
- Other dietary restrictions. Amrina also has a large selection of vegetarian options available. The vegetarian options are not directly labeled, but they are easy to spot and they are generally clustered together in similar areas of the menu.
- Cuisine. Amrina is primarily an Indian restaurant that serves elevated Indian cuisine. That being said, they have a creative menu that contains dishes and ingredients inspired by other Asian cuisines as well.
- Atmosphere. Amrina is an upscale restaurant with a seriously nice ambiance. It is a trendy restaurant with sleek, modern decor and dim lighting. There are many lavish touches and accents carefully placed throughout the restaurant that make it feel luxurious. Even unoccupied tables are decorated with chargers that are removed once someone is seated at them. This is another great place to go to celebrate a truly special occasion with an intimate dinner.
- Location. Amrina is located in The Woodlands, which is a neighboring community that is located around 30 minutes outside of downtown Houston. This is an excellent place to stop if you ever find yourself in the northern suburbs of Houston.
- Seating. Amrina has both indoor seating and outdoor seating available. Amrina is a popular spot that is known for being one of the best restaurants in the area, so it does draw a crowd. It is often possible to get in without a reservation if you stop by at an off time or earlier on in the week. That being said, we recommend making a reservation at least a few days in advance if you plan to stop by during the weekend.
Bistro Menil is a relatively nice American bistro that is conveniently located on the grounds of the Menil Collection. That means that this is the perfect place to go after browsing the art at the Menil Collection. Bistro Menil is an oasis for gluten free foodies because most of the items on the menu are gluten free, or can easily be made gluten free with substitutions. Even items like their Belgian waffles and avocado toast are gluten free by default. They have a range of different items that are difficult to find gluten free versions of at other restaurants, including many of their scrumptious desserts.
- Gluten free status. Bistro Menil is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, a huge portion of their menu is gluten free by default. This includes items that would traditionally be made with gluten-containing products like Belgian waffles or French onion soup. The menu at Bistro Menil is clearly labeled to show which items are or can be made gluten free. If you let the servers know that you have celiac disease or an allergy, they will make sure to leave a note for the kitchen staff to ensure they take appropriate precautions.
- Other dietary restrictions. Bistro Menil also has a range of vegetarian options available. Vegetarian options are clearly labeled on the menu.
- Cuisine. Bistro Menil brands themself as selling European-inspired American fare. That means that most of the items on the menu are traditional American dishes. That being said, some of the dishes have a little bit of an unusual twist that incorporates European flavors or cooking styles.
- Atmosphere. Bistro Menil is a restaurant that is nice, but not overly fancy. We would not say that this is a place that blew us away with its decor or ambiance. That being said, it is a reliable place with high quality gluten free food and friendly staff. They do have some nice outdoor areas that overlook the grounds of the Menil Collection. These areas do have a nice view, so we would highly recommend eating outdoors if you stop by on a temperate day.
- Location. Bistro Menil is located on the same grounds as the Menil Collection, which is a museum that houses a range of different art pieces. This is a great spot to stop by if you plan on visiting the museum. Bistro Menil and the Menil Collection are located a little bit outside of the main downtown area in Houston, in a more residential area of Montrose.
- Seating. Bistro Menil has both indoor seating and outdoor seating available. This is a fairly large spot with a few different seating areas available, but sometimes some of the seating areas are closed off for private events. While it is generally possible to get in without a reservation, we generally make reservations a few days in advance in case the restaurant is at limited capacity due to an event.