Are you looking for a restaurant where you can enjoy a nice gluten free meal with friends in Phoenix? Or maybe you are looking for a more casual spot where you can grab a quick gluten free meal on the go? Well either way, you are in the right place! In this article, we talk about all of our favorite restaurants in the Phoenix metro area. This will include restaurants in Phoenix, Scottsdale, and neighboring suburbs.
For each restaurant, we describe in this article, we will provide information about a specific set of characteristics. This information will help you determine which restaurant best suits your tastes and preferences. We will start this article out by laying out these characteristics. After that, we will discuss our favorite restaurants in the Phoenix metro area.
Characteristics of gluten free restaurants in Phoenix, Arizona
What characteristics will we discuss to provide additional information about each restaurant we discuss in this article? Here are the characteristics we will discuss.
- Gluten free status. First, we will discuss the gluten free status of each restaurant. This will include information on whether the restaurant is dedicated to gluten free food or not. If a restaurant is not dedicated to gluten free food, we will also provide information that can be used to assess the risk of cross contamination.
- Other dietary restrictions. Next, we will discuss whether there are any other food allergies and dietary restrictions that the restaurant caters to. Some of these restaurants cater specifically to gluten free diners, whereas others can accommodate a range of food allergies and dietary restrictions.
- Cuisine. After that, we will discuss the type of food that is served at each restaurant. We will include information on the main type of cuisine the menu draws information on as well as information on any specialties that the restaurant has.
- Atmosphere. Then we will describe the atmosphere at each restaurant. This will include information about the ambiance and decor as well as the level of formality.
- Location. Next, we will provide information on the location of each restaurant. It will include information on whether the restaurant is located in Phoenix or whether it is located in a neighboring city like Tempe or Scottsdale. We will also include information about whether the restaurant is in a crowded downtown area or a more remote area.
- Seating. Finally, we will discuss the seating options that are available at each restaurant. Specifically, we will provide information on whether indoor seating or outdoor seating is available. We will also provide information on whether reservations are recommended.
Gluten free restaurants in Phoenix, Arizona
Now that we have discussed the characteristics that we will use to provide information on each restaurant, we will discuss some of our favorite restaurants in the Phoenix metro area.
Jewel’s Bakery and Cafe
Jewel’s Bakery and Cafe is a dedicated gluten free cafe and bakery that serves some of the best gluten free comfort food that we have had to date. We will be the first to admit that we often find ourselves drawn to upscale restaurants that are not dedicated gluten free, but have rock solid allergy protocols, over dedicated gluten free cafes. This is because we often find that the quality of the food at these upscale restaurants exceeds the quality at dedicated gluten free restaurants. This is absolutely not the case with Jewel’s. Everything that we have had at Jewel’s is amazing. This is not just a great spot for people with gluten intolerances and celiac disease. This is an amazing spot that anyone should be eager to dine at.
- Gluten free status. Jewel’s Bakery and Cafe is a dedicated gluten free establishment. All of the food that they serve in both the bakery display and the cafe is gluten free.
- Other dietary restrictions. Jewel’s Bakery and Cafe also has a large range of dairy free, vegetarian, and vegan options. Some of their items are naturally dairy free and vegan and others can be made dairy free or vegan with substitutions.
- Cuisine. Jewel’s Bakery and Cafe serves gluten free versions of American comfort foods. They carry items like chicken and waffles, biscuits and gravy, and fried cheese curds. Their menu has a large focus on breakfast and brunch foods.
- Atmosphere. Jewel’s Bakery and Cafe is a small cafe with trendy decor and neon signs and nice pops of greenery. It is a relatively casual spot that has very friendly staff.
- Location. Jewel’s Bakery and Cafe is located in Phoenix. It is conveniently located just a few miles from the main airport in the city, so it is a very convenient place to stop and grab a meal after a long flight.
- Seating. Jewel’s Bakery and Cafe primarily has indoor seating available. Their space is relatively small, so it may be a good idea to make a reservation if you plan to attend during a popular time like weekend brunch. That being said, reservations do not usually book up far in advance and it is generally sufficient to make a reservation a few days ahead of time.
Elements at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain
Elements is an upscale restaurant that is located at the Sanctuary Camelback Mountain. Sanctuary Camelback Mountain is an incredible luxury resort that is nestled up against the peaks of the renowned Camelback Mountain. This is a scenic spot with some of the most unbelievable views that we have seen at any restaurant in North America. While the menu does not have a huge number of options that are naturally gluten free, the staff are incredibly accommodating and knowledgeable about how to make food that is safe for someone who is sensitive to cross contamination. While it is primarily the views that keep drawing us back to Elements, the food is also incredible.
- Gluten free status. Elements is not a dedicated gluten free restaurant. Most of the items on their menu contain gluten if they are made without any substitutions, but many of them can be made gluten free with substitutions. The menu is labeled with information about which items are naturally gluten free. The staff are also incredibly accommodating and knowledgeable about cross contamination. They also make some of the best gluten free bread around.
- Other dietary restrictions. Elements also has vegetarian options that are clearly labeled on the menu.
- Cuisine. Elements is primarily an upscale American restaurant that serves New American food. Some of the items on their menu take inspiration from Asian cuisines as well. Elements is known for having a seasonable menu that makes use of local ingredients. They aim to use ingredients that are organic and sustainably harvested.
- Atmosphere. We could spend entire days raving about how amazing the atmosphere at Sanctuary Camelback Mountain is. This is an upscale spot that exceeds expectations in all dimensions. The service is amazing, the decor is sleek and stylish, and the views are out of this world. This is not a spot that you want to miss, especially if you are looking for an upscale spot to celebrate a special occasion.
- Location. Sanctuary Camelback Mountain is located in Paradise Valley, which is conveniently located between Scottsdale and Phoenix. The restaurant is located in a remote location along the side of a mountain, so it is difficult to get there if you do not have a car.
- Seating. Sanctuary Camelback Mountain has both indoor and outdoor seating available. That being said, this is a popular place to host events so sometimes only one or the other is available.
Beckett’s Table is a restaurant that feels different than any other restaurant we have been to in the Phoenix area. It is an upscale American restaurant with a menu that focuses on rich, indulgent comfort foods. The restaurant has a carefully curated atmosphere that perfectly straddles the line between a nice, upscale restaurant and a warm, cozy farmhouse. The walls of the restaurant are lined with decorations that make reference to farms and farm animals. Between these accents and the warm, inviting atmosphere – it feels more like it is in the American south than Phoenix. This atmosphere perfectly complements the southern comfort foods on the menu.
- Gluten free status. Beckett’s Table is not a dedicated gluten free restaurant. That being said, many items on their menu are naturally gluten free or can be made gluten free upon request. Items that are gluten free are clearly labeled on the menu. Many of their appetizers and sides are made with gluten containing ingredients, but their entrees are largely gluten free. Their staff are knowledgeable about celiac disease and take precautions to prevent cross contaminations.
- Other dietary restrictions. Beckett’s Table also has a range of vegetarian options available. The vegetarian options are clearly labeled on the menu.
- Cuisine. Beckett’s Table is an American restaurant that serves traditional American cuisine. Their menu tends to lean into indulgent comfort foods. Their dishes are rich, indulgent, and very carefully crafted.
- Atmosphere. Beckett’s Table has a unique atmosphere that is carefully crafted to feel upscale, but cozy. The ceilings and walls of the restaurant are lined with unique accents that make reference to farm animals. The warm, inviting atmosphere and the farm-centric decorations make you feel almost like you are in the American south. The atmosphere perfectly complements a menu that is made up largely of indulgent comfort foods. This is a nice, upscale spot that is a great location to celebrate an occasion like an anniversary or a promotion.
- Location. Beckett’s Table is located in the heart of Phoenix on a popular street that is lined with many shops and restaurants.
- Seating. Beckett’s Table has a combination of indoor and outdoor seating options available. This is a popular spot that does not have a huge space, so we recommend making reservations ahead of time if you plan to attend during a popular time.
Ling’s Wok Shop
Ling’s Wok Shop is a relatively casual spot in Scottsdale that serves Chinese food. There are a decent number of Chinese restaurants that have safe gluten free restaurants in the Phoenix area. In fact, Phoenix and Scottsdale may have the most options of any metro area we have been to when it comes to gluten free Chinese food. That being said, Ling’s Wok Shop is probably our favorite spot in the area. The food at the restaurant is largely gluten free by nature. There are a few items like dumplings and buns that are not gluten free, but most of the rice and noodle dishes are gluten free by default.This makes us feel safe eating there.
- Gluten free status. Ling’s Wok Shop is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, the majority of the menu is gluten free or can be easily modified to be gluten free. Items that are naturally gluten free or can be made gluten free are clearly labeled on the menu.
- Other dietary restrictions. Ling’s Wok Shop also has a range of vegetarian options. Most of their meat dishes can be made vegetarian by using tofu or omitting an ingredient or two. This is one of the most vegetarian friendly Chinese restaurants that we have been to in a while. Vegetarian options are also clearly labeled on the menu.
- Cuisine. Ling’s Wok Shop is a Chinese restaurant that primarily serves Chinese American food.
- Atmosphere. Ling’s Wok Shop is a relatively casual spot that does a combination of takeout and dine in. This is a great place to go if you are looking for a casual spot to catch up with friends and relax. The staff are very friendly and accommodating.
- Location. Ling’s Wok Shop is located in Scottsdale. It is located in a shopping complex that has a range of other shops and restaurants around.
- Seating. Ling’s Wok Shop has a mixture of indoor and outdoor seating available. It may be a good idea to make a reservation if you plan to show up with a large group during peak weekend dinner hours, but it is generally possible to get in without reservations.
Ocotillo is a popular New American restaurant that is known for serving creative dishes that combine bold flavors in unconventional ways. This is another really cool spot with a unique atmosphere. Our favorite thing about Ocotillo is their outdoor dining areas. While dining outdoors in Phoenix heat does not always sound appealing, there are many accommodations that are made to make their outdoor dining experience as pleasant as possible. Notably, they have misters that line the perimeter of their outdoor dining area to help keep the temperature down. We will caution that the gluten free offerings here are somewhat limited. That being said, the dishes that are gluten free are delicious and clearly marked on the menu. The servers are also careful to alert the kitchen staff about any food allergies at the table so that they can take appropriate precautions.
- Gluten free status. Ocotillo is not a dedicated gluten free restaurant and their gluten free options are fairly limited. That being said, items that are gluten free are clearly labeled on the menu and the servers are careful to alert the kitchen to any allergies at the table.
- Other dietary restrictions. Ocotillo has both vegan and vegetarian options available. Vegan and vegetarian options are clearly marked on the menu.
- Cuisine. Ocotillo is an American restaurant that serves New American food. They have some really unique dishes that combine bold flavors in unique ways. While their dishes are not that out there or experimental, they do serve some of the more creative food that we have had in Phoenix.
- Atmosphere. Ocotillo is a really modern, trendy spot with a unique atmosphere. The restaurant has a large industrial space that is furnished with sleek decor and plenty of large windows that let in lots of sunlight. This is a sprawling restaurant that has multiple indoor and outdoor dining areas, as well as a large courtyard with a well-manicured lawn that is adjacent to the outdoor dining areas. This is a relatively nice spot, but it is not overly fancy.
- Location. Ocotillo is located in the heart of Phoenix in a popular area with lots of other shops and restaurants.
- Seating. Ocotillo is a huge restaurant that has multiple different dining areas. This includes a combination of indoor and outdoor dining areas.They have misters that line the perimeters of their outdoor dining areas to keep the temperature in check when it is warm out (so most of the year). It is generally a good idea to make a reservation if you plan to attend during a popular time like peak weekend dinner hours, but it is often possible to get in without a reservation during less popular times. This is a very popular spot, but it is huge and has a lot of seating available.
- Best North American cities for gluten free food
- Gluten free restaurants in Sedona, Arizona
- Gluten free restaurants in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Gluten free restaurants in Austin, Texas
- Gluten free restaurants in Houston, Texas
- Gluten free restaurants in Santa Monica, California
- Gluten free restaurants in Santa Barbara, California