Are you wondering which restaurant you should visit for gluten free food in Portland, Oregon? Well then you are in the right place! In this article, we tell you everything you need to know about gluten free restaurants in Portland, Oregon.
For each restaurant we discuss, we provide additional information that will help you decide whether that restaurant is right for you. This includes information on the type of cuisine served, the atmosphere, and additional food allergies and dietary preferences that the restaurant caters to.
Characteristics of each gluten free restaurant
For each gluten free restaurant that we include in this article, we will provide additional information related to the following characteristics.
- Gluten free status. First, we will discuss the gluten free status of each restaurant. Specifically, we will note whether that restaurant is a dedicated gluten free facility or not.
- Other dietary restrictions. After that, we will discuss any other food allergies or dietary restrictions that the restaurant caters to.
- Cuisine. Next, we will provide more information on the type of food that is served at the restaurant and the types of cuisines the restaurant caters to.
- Location. We will also provide information on the location of each restaurant. This will include details about what part of the city the restaurant is located in, whether there are any popular tourist attractions nearby, and whether it is easy to access the restaurant via public transportation.
- Atmosphere. After that, we will provide more details about the atmosphere at the restaurant. We will discuss whether the restaurant has a busy, festive atmosphere or more of a laid-back, chill vibe.
- Outdoor seating. Finally, we will discuss whether there are outdoor seating options available. If outdoor seating is available, we will also provide information about the type of seating that is available outside.
Our favorite gluten free restaurants in Portland
Adina Restaurant is a lovely spot with a carefully curated menu of Peruvian-inspired plates. Every item on the menu is meticulously crafted to balance unique flavor combinations. The intimate atmosphere is just as well curated as the menu. It is the perfect spot to visit if you want to celebrate a special occasion or impress a date.
- Gluten free status. Adina restaurant is not a dedicated gluten free facility, but they do have many items that are naturally gluten free or can easily be made gluten free. Around half of their menu can be made gluten free with minimal substitutions.
- Other dietary restrictions. Vegetarian and vegan options are clearly labeled on the menu. There are not many vegan options and the menu is meat heavy, but there are usually multiple vegetarian starters and small plates as well as at least one vegetarian entree.
- Cuisine. Adina serves Peruvian cuisine with a little bit of a twist. Their menu features bold Peruvian-inspired flavors that are tied together with complementary accents. The food is unique, creative, and always beautifully presented.
- Location. Adina is located on the West side of the river in a bustling downtown area that is home to many restaurants, bakeries, and breweries. It is close to many popular Portland landmarks like Ground Kontrol barcade and Powell’s Bookstore. Since Adina is located in such a popular area, it is very easy to get to via public transportation. It is also easy to walk to from many downtown areas.
- Atmosphere. The atmosphere at Adina is carefully curated to feel intimate and special, while still being somewhat upbeat. This is a great place to go to celebrate a special occasion or an important milestone. It is also a great spot to take a date that you are looking to impress.
- Outdoor seating. Adina has one of the nicest outdoor seating setups in all of Portland. Their outdoor eating area is carefully decorated with plants and lighting fixtures that ensure that the outdoor dining area has just as nice of an atmosphere as the indoor dining area.
Mestizo is another great spot to hit if you are looking for beautifully presented food that tastes just as good as it looks. Mestizo serves tapas and ceviches that are inspired by a variety of Latin cuisines. They have more of a lively atmosphere and tend to be popular with the younger crowd due to their large bar and extensive assortment of alcoholic beverages.
- Gluten free status. Mestizo is a dedicated gluten free restaurant.
- Other dietary restrictions. In addition to being dedicated to gluten free food, Mestizo is also a soy free facility. They also clearly mark vegetarian and vegan options on the menu. They have quite a few options that are suitable for people who maintain a vegan or vegetarian diet.
- Cuisine. While they do have some larger entrees on their menu, Mestizo is most well known for their tapas and small plates. We highly recommend going to Mestizo with some friends and family and getting a wide assortment of tapas to share. The food they serve takes inspiration from a variety of Latin cuisines, most notably Mexican cuisine and Peruvian cuisine. Many of the dishes pair traditional Latin flavors with a few traditional elements that put a fun twist on classic dishes.
- Location. Mestizo is located in the southeast section of Portland in a neighborhood that feels more residential. Even though it is a little farther out away from the downtown area, there are still multiple bus lines that go there from downtown.
- Atmosphere. Mestizo has a very lively atmosphere that is popular with the younger crowd. They have a large bar and offer a fun variety of cocktail and drink options that help to keep the energy high. This is a great place to go if you are looking for a relatively nice spot that is still fun and high energy.
- Outdoor seating. Mestizo has a variant of outdoor seating options both in front of the restaurant and to the side of the restaurant. The tables in front of the restaurant have a little nicer of a setup, so they tend to fill up before the tables to the side of the restaurant. It can be a little competitive to get an outdoor seat on a nice day, but even if there is a little wait, it is not usually long.
Teote House Cafe
Teote is a fun Latin-inspired spot that offers a variety of arepas and other Latin-inspired bites. Teote is the place to go if you are looking for rich comfort foods that are packed with Latin-inspired flavors. This is the place to go to if you are hungry and ready to chow down on something flavorful.
Note that while the Teote restaurant family has multiple locations, we will specifically be talking about the Teote House Cafe. The food options are relatively similar across the different locations at Teote, but the atmosphere and seating options may vary.
- Gluten free status. While Teote does not make a big deal of this on their menu or website, their kitchen only uses gluten free ingredients.
- Other dietary restrictions. Teote also has a range of vegetarian offerings. They also do their best to accommodate vegan diets when they can, but note that many of the vegetarian offerings feature cheese as a key ingredient.
- Cuisine. Teote serves a variety of Latin-inspired options that are rich, flavorful, and straight up indulgent. They carry a large assortment of arepas and a variety of dinner plates that are piled high with rice, beans, cheese, vegetables, and meats. They also have some top notch sides and appetizers. If you are a fan of queso dips, their smokey queso dip is one of the best options around.
- Location. Teote is located in the southeast of Portland in an area that has a lot of restaurants and food carts. They are near a few other restaurants with gluten free options like Nicholas Restaurant. There are a few bus lines that connect the area to downtown.
- Atmosphere. The atmosphere at Teote is relatively laid back and casual. Like some of the other spots mentioned on this list, the indoor area is adorned with bright colors and quirky touches that feel right at home in Portland.
- Outdoor seating. There is currently no outdoor seating available at Teote.
Butterfly Belly is a quirky little spot that serves Vietnamese food as well as other Asian-inspired classics. They also have some fun fusion dishes that combine flavors from different Asian cuisines. Their food is all gluten free and dairy free and they offer a wide variety of vegan and vegetarian options. That means that they are a dream for families and friend groups with a mix of different food allergies and dietary preferences. The quirky, laid back environment at Butterfly Belly makes it a great place to unwind after a busy day of work (or play)!
- Gluten free status. Butterfly Belly is a dedicated gluten free establishment.
- Other dietary restrictions. Butterfly Belly also offers a wide range of vegetarian and vegan options. Their online menu has an entire page dedicated to vegetarian and vegan options that makes it easy to scan through everything that is vegetarian-friendly all at once. Their food is also dairy free, MSG free, and free of artificial dyes and food colorings.
- Cuisine. Butterfly belly serves a variety of dishes that are inspired by different Asian cuisines. This includes a range of fun fusion dishes that combine flavors from different Asian countries. While Butterfly Belly does offer dishes inspired by a range of different cuisines, their primary focus is on Vietnamese food. They are particularly well known for their homemade pho that is made with homemade broth that is simmered for long periods of time to instill extra flavor in it.
- Location. Butterfly Belly is located right near the heart of downtown so it is very easy to access via public transportation. It is near many popular Portland landmarks like Ground Kontrol barcade and Powell’s Bookstore.
- Atmosphere. Butterfly Belly has a laid back, quirky environment that feels right at home in the city of Portland. The indoor seating area is adorned with an eclectic set of colorful decorations that liven up the mood. There are many fun touches like a karaoke machine that often gets rolled out on weekend nights.
- Outdoor seating. There are a few tables that are set up in front of Butterfly Belly, but they are pretty close to the road so most people choose to eat inside.
Bamboo Sushi is another spot with multiple locations throughout the city. This is a chain of sushi restaurants with a focus on sustainability that has locations across Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and California. Bamboo Sushi is a trendy sushi spot that is conscious of a range of food allergies and dietary restrictions.
While there are multiple Bamboo Sushi locations scattered across Portland, we will specifically be talking about the location in the southwest of the city (referred to as Portland SW on their website). The food and atmosphere will be relatively similar across all of the locations, but the details about location and nearby travel will differ.
- Gluten free status. The vast majority of the menu at Bamboo Sushi is gluten free. That being said, there are a few items on the menu that do contain gluten. Items that do contain gluten are clearly marked on the menu.
- Other dietary restrictions. Bamboo Sushi also clearly marks items that are vegetarian friendly and items that contain soy in their menu. Considering that this is a sushi spot, there are a decent number of vegetarian options on the menu.
- Cuisine. Bamboo Sushi is dedicated primarily to sushi and similar dishes. Along those lines, they serve all kinds of dishes that are typically made with raw fish including poke bowls and crispy rice.
- Location. One of the best things about Bamboo Sushi is its convenient location in a bustling downtown area that is adjacent to multiple popular tourist attractions. Bamboo Sushi is located in the southwest of the city near popular attractions like Pioneer Courthouse Square, Powell’s City of Books, and Washington Park. That means that it is a great place to stop on the way home after a long day exploring the city. Since Bamboo Sushi is located near many popular tourist attractions, it is very easy to access via public transportation.
- Atmosphere. The atmosphere at Bamboo Sushi is similar to that of many trendy sushi places. They have a sleek, well-decorated space that is relatively lively.
- Outdoor seating. There is outdoor seating available at Bamboo Sushi along the side of the restaurant. There are just a few tables available, but the outdoor seating is not as popular so it is not usually that competitive to get a table outdoors.
Zilla Sake is a sushi restaurant with a menu that is 100% gluten free and an atmosphere that is relatively chill and laid back. This is a small but popular spot, so make sure to make a reservation ahead of time!
- Gluten free status. Zilla Sake is a dedicated gluten free establishment.
- Other dietary restrictions. Gluten free food is the main allergy or dietary restriction that Zilla Sake specifically caters to. That being said, they say that they can accommodate most allergies.
- Cuisine. Zilla Sake is a sushi and sake restaurant.
- Location. Zilla sake is located in the northeast part of the city in an area that has many restaurants and shops. Since it is in an area with many other restaurants and shops, it is relatively easy to access via public transportation. There are not many popular tourist attractions in the immediate area, but the Kennedy School movie theater is just over a mile away.
- Atmosphere. Zilla Sake is a relatively small spot with an intimate feel. The atmosphere is relatively relaxed and laid back, so this is a great place to go to unwind after a busy day.
- Outdoor seating. There are a few nicely decorated tables in front of Zilla Sake. Seating is limited, so we recommend making a reservation before you arrive.
Nicholas Restaurant is a fun spot that serves a variety of Mediterranean and Lebanese-inspired dishes. It is a great place to check out if you are looking for Mediterranean-inspired food in the Portland area. They also have many vegetarian and vegan options, so it is a great place to visit with a group that has a variety of different dietary preferences.
Nicholas Restaurant is another spot that has a few different locations across Portland. In this article, we will specifically be talking about the Madison location on southeast Madison street. Most of their locations serve similar types of food, but the location and outdoor seating details may vary depending on which location you go to.
- Gluten free status. Nicholas Restaurant is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, a large portion of their menu is gluten free or can easily be made gluten free by substituting in gluten free pita bread.
- Other dietary restrictions. Vegan options are also clearly labeled on their menu. There is a relatively large selection of vegan options available and an even larger selection of vegetarian options.
- Cuisine. Nicholas restaurant serves Lebanese and Mediterranean cuisine. This includes a large selection of Mediterranean-inspired dips, rice bowls, wraps, and kebabs.
- Location. Nicholas restaurant is centrally located on the east side of the river in an area that has many restaurants, bakeries, and food trucks. Since it is located in a relatively busy area, it is relatively easy to get there via public transportation. There are not many major tourist attractions located in the area, but there are lots of shops and food options.
- Atmosphere. Nicholas Restaurant is a cozy restaurant that is ornately decorated with Mediterranean-inspired accents. During busy times like weekend nights, the vibe is more loud and festive. During less busy times, the atmosphere feels more cozy and intimate.
- Outdoor seating. Nicholas Restaurant has an outdoor patio with a decent amount of outdoor seating. The tables on the patio have umbrellas that can be raised to block out the sun on a warm summer day.
Other gluten free restaurants in Portland
In this section, we will discuss a few additional restaurants in Portland, Oregon. These are restaurants that have been recommended to us as places that have a good selection of gluten free foods.
Harlow is a trendy cafe that is dedicated to vegetarian and vegan food. They are also a dedicated gluten free facility. They carry an assortment of breakfast foods that are made with creative meat replacements. They also have an assortment of lunch items ranging from salads and rice bowls to quesadillas and wraps. In addition to all that, they also have an assortment of nutrition juices and smoothies.
The Slide Inn in Portland is another fun spot that serves a variety of German-inspired options. While they are not a dedicated gluten free facility, they have a clearly marked menu and are able to make a large portion of the menu gluten free. Some of their more unique offerings include their gluten free apple fritters, Austrian pancakes, and vegan sausages.
- Gluten free bakeries in Portland, Oregon
- Gluten free breweries in Portland, Oregon
- Gluten free food trucks in Portland, Oregon
- Best North American cities for gluten free food
- Gluten free restaurants in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Gluten free restaurants in Savannah, Georgia
- Gluten free restaurants in Vancouver, British Colombia
- Gluten free restaurants in Santa Monica, California
- Gluten free restaurants in Boston, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Tampa, Florida