Are you looking for a place where you can enjoy a nice sit down dinner in Sedona that has gluten free options? Or maybe you are looking for somewhere to grab a quick gluten free meal on the go? Well either way, you are in the right place! In this article, we will discuss all of our favorite places to get a safe gluten free meal in Sedona.
For each restaurant that we mention in this article, we will provide information on a specific set of characteristics to help you decide which restaurant best suits your tastes and preferences. We will start this article out by going over those characteristics to help you understand what type of information you can expect to see. After that, we will discuss some of our favorite sit down restaurants that offer safe gluten free options in Sedona. Then, we will mention some of our favorite fast casual restaurants and cafes that offer safe gluten free options in Sedona.
Note. Before we start, we will note that Sedona is not a location that is known for having particularly impressive food. There are only one to two restaurants we have been to in Sedona where we were particularly impressed with the quality of the food (namely Mariposa and maybe Pisa Lisa). For the sake of this article, we will focus on restaurants that can prepare food that is safe for someone with celiac disease and is good enough, even if it does not blow us away.
Characteristics of gluten free restaurants in Sedona
For each restaurant that we mention in this article, we will provide information on the following characteristics. This information is intended to help you determine which restaurant best suits your preferences.
- Gluten free status. First, we will discuss the gluten free status of each restaurant. This will include information on whether the restaurant is a dedicated gluten free establishment or not. If the restaurant is not a dedicated gluten free establishment, we will also include information to help you assess the risk of cross contamination.
- Other dietary restrictions. After that, we will include information on other dietary restrictions that each restaurant caters to. Some of these restaurants are specifically known for their gluten free offerings, whereas others can accommodate a range of food allergies and dietary restrictions.
- Cuisine. Next, we will discuss the food that is served at each restaurant. We will start out by discussing the main type of cuisine that the menu takes inspiration from. After that, we will provide additional information on any specialties that the restaurant is known for.
- Atmosphere. After that, we will provide information about the atmosphere at each restaurant. This will include everything from the ambiance and decor of the restaurant to the energy level at the restaurant.
- Location. Next, we will provide information on the location of each restaurant. Some of these restaurants are located in downtown Sedona, whereas others are located in adjacent areas like West Sedona.
- Seating. Finally, we will discuss the seating options that are available at each restaurant. Some of these restaurants only have indoor seating, whereas others have a range of outdoor seating options available as well. We will also take a moment here to provide information on whether reservations are recommended.
Gluten free sit down restaurants in Sedona
Now that we have laid out the characteristics that we will use to provide information on each restaurant in Sedona, we will start out by discussing our favorite sit down restaurants in Sedona. Note that these are listed roughly in order of preference, with our favorite restaurants appearing closer to the top of the list.
Mariposa Latin-Inspired Grill
Mariposa is without a doubt our absolute favorite place to eat in Sedona. Our favorite thing about Mariposa is the food. Mariposa is an upscale Latin-inspired grill that serves some of the best food that we have had in all of the southwest. Most of the food on the menu is naturally gluten free or can be modified to be gluten free upon request. As if that was not enough, the ambiance is also amazing. This is an upscale spot that has carefully curated decor and beautiful views. The outdoor dining area has some of the best views of Sedona’s red rocks that we have seen at any restaurant. The indoor seating are has tall ceilings and floor to ceiling windows, which ensure that you can still enjoy the beautiful views. This is the perfect place to go to celebrate a special occasion with a memorable meal.
- Gluten free status. Mariposa is not a dedicated gluten free facility. The menu is not labeled to show what items can and cannot be gluten free, but the servers are knowledgeable about the menu and can provide information on which items are naturally gluten free or can be made gluten free with modifications. A large portion of the menu can be made gluten free upon request. The kitchen staff are also knowledgeable about celiac disease and take precautions to prevent cross contamination in the kitchen.
- Other dietary restrictions. Mariposa also has vegan and vegetarian options available. There is generally at least one vegan entree and at least one vegetarian entree that is made with eggs or dairy on the menu. Beyond that, many of the entrees and tapas are made with meat. That being said, they do have an extensive array of vegetable sides that can be eaten tapas style if you are not a fan of the vegetarian entree. Many of these sides contain dairy, so they may not be vegan friendly.
- Cuisine. Mariposa is a Latin-inspired grill that serves dishes that take inspiration from a few different Latin cuisines. In particular, they serve many items that are inspired by Spanish cuisine and Mexican cuisine.
- Atmosphere. Mariposa has some of the best views and ambiance of any restaurant we have
- Location. Mariposa is located on the outskirts of Sedona in an area that is closer to nature and has unobstructed views of some of Sedona’s most popular red rocks. It is located on the main road that runs between Sedona and West Sedona.
- Seating. Mariposa has a combination of indoor and outdoor seating. The outdoor seating has some of the most beautiful views in all of Sedona, so we highly recommend eating outside if you plan to eat during the day on a temperate day. If you plan to eat after dark or on a warmer day, the indoor seating is also beautiful. This is an extremely popular spot, so reservations often book up multiple weeks ahead of time. We highly recommend making reservations relatively far in advance.
Pisa Lisa is a popular pizza restaurant that is known for being one of the better restaurants in town. It is owned by the same group that owns Mariposa, so you know that any food coming out of this group has to be a step above the rest. We will say that the gluten free pizza at Pisa Lisa is probably the best gluten free pizza that we have had in the state of Arizona. While this is a pizza spot that has lots of flour in the air, they have a separate oven in a different room that is only used for gluten free pizzas so we feel relatively safe eating here.
- Gluten free status. Pisa Lisa is not a dedicated gluten free establishment. That being said, they take precautions to prevent cross contamination if you let them know that you are sensitive to cross contamination. They have a separate oven that is used for gluten free pizzas and use frozen crusts that have been assembled offsite, which reduces the risk of cross contamination. Gluten free items are not labeled on the menu but most, if not all, of their pizzas can be made gluten free by substituting a gluten free crust.
- Other dietary restrictions. Pisa Lisa also has plenty of vegetarian options available. You can order a pre-specified topping combination off the menu or create your own by adding additional toppings to a basic pizza.
- Cuisine. As the name suggests, Pisa Lisa is an Italian restaurant that is primarily known for their pizza.
- Atmosphere. While Pisa Lisa is a pizza restaurant first and foremost, you can tell that the owners put thought into the ambiance and decor at the restaurant. The restaurant is decorated with sleek decor and brick walls that make it feel more upscale than the average pizza joint. This is generally a fun spot with an upbeat atmosphere.
- Location. Pisa Lisa has two locations, but we are most familiar with the location in West Sedona. The West Sedona location is conveniently situated on the main road that cuts through the center of West Sedona. This is a popular spot that is lined with lots of shops and restaurants.
- Seating. Pisa Lisa has a mixture of indoor and outdoor seating. This is a popular spot, but they do not take reservations in advance. We recommend showing up a little but on the early side or the late side if you have a large party.
SaltRock Southwest Kitchen
SaltRock is an American restaurant with a specialization in Tex-Mex that is located at the Amara Resort in Sedona. Amara is an upscale resort with some absolutely amazing views, most of which can be enjoyed while dining at SaltRock. From the luxurious pool to the unobstructed views of Sedona’s red rocks, this is the perfect spot for diners who want to soak in beautiful views. This is also a really fun spot with a lawn that comes equipped with games like corn hole. This is our favorite spot to go when we are looking for a place to grab a drink with friends and be social. While they do not have a labeled gluten free menu, many items on the menu can be made gluten free with substitutions and the staff are knowledgeable about what contains gluten and what may be exposed to cross contamination.
- Gluten free status. SaltRock is not a dedicated gluten free establishment. That being said, they are knowledgeable about celiac disease and take precautions to prevent cross contamination if you let them know that you have an allergy. A large portion of the items on their menu can be made gluten free with substitutions. The menu is not labeled to show which items are gluten free, but the staff are knowledgeable and can help you select items that are free of gluten.
- Other dietary restrictions. SaltRock is best known for their ability to accommodate those with celiac disease, but they are knowledgeable about cross contamination so they may be able to accommodate other allergies as well.
- Cuisine. SaltRock is an American restaurant that serves American-inspired food. The restaurant does have a southwest theme, so many of the items on their menu lean into Tex-Mex dishes. That being said, they also have some classic American dishes like cheeseburgers.
- Atmosphere. While the food at SaltRock is good, the ambiance and the views are definitely the main thing that draws us back to SaltRock. SaltRock is set back from town a little so that it has unobstructed views of Sedona’s Red Rocks. Seriously, the views here are amazing. This is a nice restaurant with beautiful decor and fun touches, like a lawn that features corn hole and other games. It is a fun spot to grab a drink with friends and socialize as you wait for your food to come out.
- Location. SaltRock has a very convenient location right on the outskirts of downtown Sedona. While SaltRock and the Amara resort are set back from the main downtown strip so that they can provide unobstructed views of Sedona’s red rocks, the driveway that leads to the restaurant dumps out onto the main road where most of the shops and restaurants in Sedona reside. That means that it is really easy to walk to SaltRock from the main strip.
- Seating. SaltRock has both indoor and outdoor seating available, but we highly recommend opting for the outdoor seating if the weather allows. The outdoor seating area has the best views and the most entertainment options. SaltRock has a decent amount of seating available. It may be a good idea to make reservations ahead of time if you plan to head over during peak weekend dinner hours, but it is generally pretty easy to drop in without a reservation during less popular times such as weekday lunch.
Picazzos Healthy Italian Kitchen
Picazzos is an Italian restaurant that is also known for being popular with the health-conscious crowd. Their food is made with natural, organic ingredients that are free of pesticides, hormones, and GMO sources. Picazzos is a reliable spot where you can feel safe eating if you are sensitive to cross contamination. They seriously know what they are doing with gluten free food. We will be honest and say that we are not overly impressed with the quality of their food and would rate it as good but not great. That being said, this is generally how we feel about health food spots.
- Gluten free status. Picazzos is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, this is a safe spot that is very careful to prevent cross contamination when serving those with celiac disease or severe sensitivities. They even have a separate pizza oven that is only used to make gluten free pizzas. We really appreciate the extent they go to in order to prevent cross contamination and that is what keeps us coming back. Their menu is also labeled to show which items are naturally gluten free and which items can be made gluten free upon request. Aside from their selection of pizzas, most of their menu is naturally gluten free.
- Other dietary restrictions. Picazzos also has a large selection of vegan options available. They have an entire separate menu that shows what is or can be made vegan friendly. This is one of the best restaurants in the area if you are looking for somewhere that can accommodate gluten free and vegan diners. The only other place with this level of service for these groups is ChocolaTree.
- Cuisine. Picazzos is an Italian restaurant that serves Italian American food. Their menu is largely made up of healthy dishes that use natural, organic ingredients. They are most well known for being a pizza restaurant, but they do have a large menu that includes other items like pastas.
- Atmosphere. Picazzos is a really popular restaurant that is often packed with people, especially if you go during peak dinner hours. That means that this is generally a lively spot with lots of energy in the air. This is not an overly fancy restaurant, but it does have a little bit of a nicer atmosphere than the average Sedona restaurant.
- Location. Picazzos is located in downtown Sedona on a popular road that is lined with shops and restaurants.
- Seating. Most of the seating at Picazzos is located indoors, but there is a small outdoor seating area. They do not accept reservations, but this is a popular spot so we recommend showing up early if you have a large party.
Gluten free cafes and bakeries in Sedona
Now that we have discussed our favorite sit down restaurants that offer gluten free options in Sedona, we will take a moment to mention some of our favorite cafes and bakeries that offer gluten free options. As before, these cafes and bakeries are listed roughly in order of preference, with our favorite spots appearing close to the top of the list.
ChocolaTree is a dedicated gluten free and vegetarian facility that has a cafe, a bakery window, and a store where they sell packaged goods. This is a health food store where the majority of the food is made with organic ingredients and low sugar ingredients. We will be honest and say that we tend to prefer rich, indulgent foods that are not popular with the health conscious, so their food is not our favorite food in Sedona. That being said, if you are inclined towards health foods then their food is quite good for this style of food. Our favorite thing about ChocolaTree is that they have a beautiful tree-lined garden that you can eat at in the back of the restaurant. Their garden is one of the most serene and calming places that we have dined in.
- Gluten free status. ChocolaTree is a dedicated gluten free establishment. Everything that is sold in their store, bakery window, and cafe is entirely gluten free.
- Other dietary restrictions. In addition to being dedicated to gluten free food, ChocolaTree is also a vegetarian establishment. The vast majority of the menu is also either vegan friendly or able to be modified to be vegan friendly.
- Cuisine. ChocolaTree primarily serves American food. Their menu is largely made up of health foods that are made from natural, organic ingredients. That means that their foods contain fewer added sugars and fats than the foods at most other restaurants.
- Atmosphere. ChocolaTree is a unique spot with a very distinct atmosphere. Their atmosphere is carefully curated to evoke a sense of peace and relaxation. That means that this is a great place to go to unwind after a difficult hike or a stressful encounter. There are many different dining areas in their facility, but we always eat in the garden at the back of their shop. The garden is a beautiful tree-lined patio that is one of the most relaxing spots you can imagine.
- Location. ChocolaTree is located in West Sedona on a popular street that is lined with shops and restaurants.
- Seating. ChocolaTree has both indoor and outdoor seating available. They have multiple different dining areas scattered throughout their facility, so it is generally easy to find a seat. That being said, the garden in the back of their restaurant is hugely popular so it can be more difficult to find a seat there during peak lunch hours.
Karen’s Gluten Free Bakeshop
Karen’s Gluten Free Bakeshop is a dedicated gluten free and dairy free bakery that is located along the main strip in West Sedona. This is one of the only options around if you are looking for a large assortment of gluten free baked goods. While all of the items they make are dairy free, they are not all vegan by default because some of them contain ingredients like eggs. That being said, there are a large range of vegan options available. We often find that dairy free and vegan baked goods are a little heavier and more cakey than baked goods that are made with eggs and dairy, and that trend holds here. We are generally more partial to light and fluffy baked goods, so we often opt for crunchy items like cookies over items like cupcakes that can be a little on the heavy side. They have some crunchy cookies with elaborate icing that we really love.
- Gluten free status. As the name suggests, Karen’s Gluten Free Bakeshop is a dedicated gluten free facility.
- Other dietary restrictions. Karen’s Gluten Free Bakeshop is also a dedicated dairy free facility. Many of the items that they sell are also vegan friendly, though some items do contain eggs.
- Cuisine. Karen’s Gluten Free Bakeshop is primarily a bakery that sells sweet treats like cupcakes, cookies, and brownies. That being said, they do have some more savory options like sandwiches that are made on their homemade bread as well.
- Atmosphere. Karen’s Gluten Free Bakeshop is a casual bakery with friendly staff.
- Location. Karen’s Gluten Free Bakeshop is located along the main road that runs through West Sedona. It is located in a strip mall with lots of other shops and eateries, so it is a convenient place to stop on your way home from running errands.
- Seating. Karen’s Gluten Free Bakeshop is a small bakery that does not have much seating. There are generally a few chairs inside the shop, but this is not a large restaurant.
- Best North American cities for gluten free food
- Gluten free restaurants in Phoenix, Arizona
- Gluten free restaurants in Austin, Texas
- Gluten free restaurants in Houston, Texas
- Gluten free restaurants in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Gluten free restaurants in Santa Monica, California
- Gluten free restaurants in Santa Barbara, California