Are you looking for a nice spot to grab a gluten free meal with friends in Vancouver? Or maybe you are looking for a quick spot to grab a meal on the go? Well either way, you are in the right place! In this article, we discuss all of our favorite restaurants in the Vancouver area.
For each restaurant we describe in this article, we provide a few pieces of information to help you decide which Vancouver restaurant is the best fit for your preferences. We start this article out by describing each piece of information we will provide. After that, we talk about some of our favorite sit down restaurants in Vancouver. Next, we discuss some of our favorite fast casual restaurants and cafes in Vancouver that offer gluten free options.
Characteristics of gluten free restaurants in Vancouver
For each of the gluten free restaurants in Vancouver that we discuss in this article, we will include the following information.
- Gluten free status. First we will discuss the gluten free status of the restaurant. This includes information on whether the restaurant is dedicated to gluten free food or whether the restaurant also serves items that contain gluten.
- Other dietary restrictions. We will also discuss other food allergies and dietary restrictions that each restaurant caters to. Some of these restaurants are specifically known for their gluten free offerings, whereas others cater to a wide range of food allergies and dietary restrictions.
- Cuisine. After that, we will provide information about the type of cuisine that is served at each of these Vancouver restaurants.
- Location. We will also provide information on the location of each of these Vancouver restaurants. This includes information on the part of the city that each restaurant is located in and landmarks that are located near each restaurant.
- Atmosphere. Next, we will provide information about the atmosphere at each of the gluten free restaurants in Vancouver. Some of these restaurants have laid back atmospheres, whereas others are more lively and upbeat.
- Seating. Finally, we will provide information about the seating options that are available at each restaurant. This will include information about whether a reservation is needed or not. It will also include information about whether outdoor seating is available or not.
Gluten free sit down restaurants in Vancouver
First we will talk about some of our favorite sit down restaurants in Vancouver. These restaurants are ranked roughly in order of preference, with our favorite restaurants appearing towards the top of the list.
Miku is an upscale sushi restaurant that is located right on the Vancouver waterfront. It is no coincidence that Miku is at the top of our list. There are just so many things to love about Miku – the intimate atmosphere, the delicious food, the attentive service, the waterfront views. The sushi at Miku is easily some of the best sushi we have had in Canada. In fact, it is probably some of the best sushi we have had anywhere in North America. If you are looking for a place to go to celebrate a special occasion in Vancouver, Miku would be our number one recommendation.
- Gluten free status. Miku is not a dedicated gluten free establishment. That being said, there are many gluten free options that are clearly marked on the menu.
- Other dietary restrictions. Vegetarian options are also clearly marked on the menu. Miku has a relatively large assortment of vegetarian sushi options that include both vegetarian rolls and vegetarian nigiri. They have some of the best vegetarian nigiri out there.
- Cuisine. Miku is primarily a sushi restaurant. They have other Japanese options on the menu, but there is a strong focus on sushi and sashimi.
- Location. Miku is located on the waterfront right near the heart of downtown Toronto. That means that it is easily accessible via public transportation. It is even walkable from many downtown locations.
- Atmosphere. Miku has a nice, upscale atmosphere that is similar to that of many other upscale sushi restaurants. The atmosphere feels intimate and special. This is a great place to go to celebrate a special occasion.
- Seating. Miku sushi has a limited amount of outdoor seating that has a beautiful view of the waterfront. Because of the view, this seating is popular and tends to go fast. We recommend making reservations well in advance if you are interested in dining outdoors. Even if you plan to dine indoors, reservations often book up a few days ahead of time. It is no secret that Miku is a great spot.
MeeT on Main
MeeT on Main is the place to go if you are looking to have fun. All of their locations have such a lively atmosphere and they have some of the best cocktails around. This is one of our favorite spots to go to meet with friends before a night out. As an added bonus, they can accommodate a wide variety of dietary restrictions ranging from common allergies to other dietary preferences. That means that there is something at MeeT on Main for everyone.
Note that while MeeT on Main has multiple different locations, we are most familiar with their Gastown location. That means that most of the comments we make about atmosphere and seating will be based on our experiences at the Gastown location.
- Gluten free status. MeeT on Main is not a dedicated gluten free restaurant and they do have items on their menu that contain gluten. That being said, their menu is clearly labeled and their staff is very knowledgeable. A large portion of their menu is gluten free, so there are many options for gluten free diners.
- Other dietary restrictions. MeeT on Main focuses on plant based foods, so they are also a paradise for vegetarian and vegan diners. Items that contain nuts are also well marked on the menu, so they are a better than average option for those with nut allergies.
- Cuisine. MeeT on Main specializes in vegetarian and vegan comfort foods. They serve a variety of options ranging from loaded fries and poutine to mac and cheese and veggie burgers.
- Location. MeeT at Main has multiple locations, most of which are centrally located in downtown areas. That means that they are easily accessible via public transportation. Vancouver is a very walkable city, so they are also walkable from many downtown areas.
- Atmosphere. MeeT at Main has a fun, lively atmosphere that makes it the perfect spot to meet with friends for drinks. All of the locations have a relatively upbeat atmosphere that makes a night at MeeT on Main all that much more fun.
- Seating. There is a decent amount of indoor seating at MeeT on Main, but this is a fairly popular spot. That means that you should consider making a reservation if you have a large group. There is also some outdoor seating at most of their locations. The outdoor seating is not so popular in the colder months, but it is more popular in warmer months
Nuba is another delicious Vancouver restaurant that has multiple locations across the city. Nuba is another fun spot that is a great option if you are looking to grab a meal with friends. The atmosphere is a little more laid back than the atmosphere at Meet on Main, but it is still a relatively lively spot. Nuba is a great option if you are looking for a more low key meeting spot that has great service and delicious food.
Note that while Nuba has multiple locations across the city, we are most familiar with the Gastown location. That means that most of the comments that we make about the atmosphere and service at Nuba are primarily based on our experience at the Gastown location.
- Gluten free status. Nuba is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, many dishes are gluten free or can be made gluten free easily. Gluten free options are labeled clearly on the menu.
- Other dietary restrictions. Nuba also has lots of vegan and vegetarian offerings. Vegan and vegetarian offerings are also listed on the menu. There are many options that are both vegan or vegetarian friendly and gluten free.
- Cuisine. The menu at Nuba focuses primarily on Lebanese cuisine.
- Location. Nuba has multiple locations in Gastown, Yaletown, and other neighborhoods. Many of their locations are centrally located in highly walkable downtown areas. That means that it is fairly easy to access their locations via public transportation.
- Atmosphere. The atmosphere at Nuba is more laid back than the atmosphere at some of the other restaurants we have discussed. That being said, it is very warm and inviting. This is a great place to go if you are looking for a little more of a low key atmosphere, but you still want a fun spot that is popular with the younger crowd. While the atmosphere at Nuba is not generally as high energy as that at MeeT on Main, it can still be lively – especially if you visit with a couple of friends.
- Seating. There is a decent amount of seating available at Nuba most of which is indoors. If you are going during a peak time on a weekend night, then it may be in your best interest to make a reservation. Otherwise, you should be fine to walk in.
Hydra is a relatively low key Mediterranean restaurant that is located at the Exchange Hotel in Vancouver. There are multiple hotel restaurants in downtown Vancouver that offer gluten free options, but Hydra is one of our absolute favorites. The food is tasty and there is a nice, elegant atmosphere.
- Gluten free status. Hydra is not a dedicated gluten free facility. Gluten free options are not clearly labeled on the menu, but the wait staff is knowledgeable about dietary restrictions. They can help guide you towards options that are gluten free.
- Other dietary restrictions. There are not any particular food allergies or dietary restrictions that Hydra caters to. That being said, they are able to accommodate a variety of dietary restrictions as necessary. There are both vegetarian and vegan options available on the menu, but they are not clearly marked.
- Cuisine. Hydra primarily serves Mediterranean food. Their menu has a particular focus on Greek cuisine.
- Location. Hydra is located in a bustling downtown area that is walking distance from many popular downtown Vancouver attractions. That means that it is generally fairly easy to get there on foot or via public transportation.
- Atmosphere. Hydra has a nice atmosphere, especially when you consider that it is a hotel restaurant. The restaurant itself is stylishly decorated and has a very warm and inviting vibe. The service is also excellent.
- Seating. The seating at Hydra is plentiful and Hydra is often able to accommodate walk-ins. There is no outdoor seating available.
Gluten free cafes and fast casual restaurants in Vancouver
Now that we have discussed our favorite sit down restaurants in Vancouver, we will discuss some of our favorite fast casual restaurants and cafes in Vancouver. These restaurants are listed roughly in order of preference, with our favorite restaurants appearing closer to the top of the list.
Chau Veggie Express
Chau Veggie Express is easily our favorite place to pick up a quick meal on the go in Vancouver. Chau Veggie Express is a Vietnamese eatery that is 100% dedicated to plant-based foods. The food here is so fresh and flavorful that it is a hit among vegans and omnivores alike. Chau Veggie Express has a conveniently located food stall right in the center of Granville Public Market. That means that this is the perfect place to pick up a gluten free meal when you are visiting Granville Island.
Note that while Chau Veggie Express does have a second location, we are most familiar with their location on Granville Island. That means that most of our comments about the atmosphere and the seating at Chau Veggie Express are based on our experience at the Granville Island location.
- Gluten free status. Chau Veggie Express is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, the vast majority of the menu at Chau Veggie Express is gluten free. There are only one or two ingredients that are used at Chau Veggie Express that do contain gluten and they are not used in many dishes.
- Other dietary restrictions. Chau Veggie Express is a dedicated vegan facility. That means that it is a great option for people who maintain vegetarian or vegan diets. It is also a safe bet for anyone with an egg or dairy allergy.
- Cuisine. Chau Veggie Express has a menu that is dedicated to plant-based Vietnamese food.
- Location. Chau Veggie Express is conveniently located right in the heart of Granville Public Market. That means that it is the perfect spot to pick up a meal if you ever find yourself on Granville Island. They also have a location in East Vancouver that is a little bit outside of the main downtown area. Since they are a little bit outside of the main downtown area, they are not as easily accessible by foot or public transportation as some of the other restaurants we have discussed.
- Atmosphere. We are most familiar with the Chau Veggie Express location in Granville public market, which is a food stall that is located in a bustling market. The staff are accommodating and the service is fast.
- Seating. We are most familiar with the Chau Veggie Express location in Granville public market. Since this location is a food stall in a public market, there is no seating available immediately adjacent to the stall. That being said, there is a large amount of communal seating that is available on the waterfront outside of the public market.
Heirs Pears is another great option if you are looking for a gluten free meal on the go. Heirs Pears is a cute little cafe that offers a variety of gluten free options ranging from pancakes and omelets to pizzas and bowls. It is an absolute dream for brunch lovers who are looking for a full gluten free brunch. Heirs Pears is more centrally located than Chau Veggie Express, so it may be a better spot to visit if you want to pick up a meal on the way to a popular downtown attraction.
- Gluten free status. Heirs Pears is a dedicated gluten free facility. All of the products they sell on site are gluten free.
- Other dietary restrictions. There are a variety of vegetarian and vegan options available at Heirs Pears. The vegetarian and vegan options are not explicitly labeled on the menu, but they are generally pretty easy to identify.
- Cuisine. Heirs Pears is a fairly standard cafe that serves popular American breakfast and lunch items. The breakfast and brunch menus have a large variety of options ranging from omelets and frittatas to pancakes and bagels. They also have a varied lunch menu that contains options like sandwiches, bowls, and pizzas.
- Location. Heirs Pears is conveniently located in a popular downtown area. That means that it is easily accessible by public transportation (or even by foot) from most popular downtown areas.
- Atmosphere. The atmosphere at Heirs Pears is similar to that of the standard cafe. The staff are friendly and accommodating and the seating area is tastefully decorated.
- Seating. There is a decent amount of indoor seating available at Heirs Pears. Many people order takeout, so there is not a lot of competition for seating most of the time. There is also a limited amount of outdoor seating available.
- Best North American cities for gluten free food
- Gluten free restaurants in Toronto, Ontario
- Gluten free restaurants in Portland, Oregon
- Gluten free restaurants in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Gluten free restaurants in Savannah, Georgia
- Gluten free restaurants in Santa Monica, California
- Gluten free restaurants in Boston, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Tampa, Florida