Are you looking to buy a tortilla press and wondering how you should choose one? In this article we tell you everything you need to know about how to choose a tortilla press. We discuss the different types and sizes of tortilla presses that are available and their tradeoffs. We also provide recommendations for some of our favorite tortilla press brands.
Don’t have enough time to read the whole article? An 8 inch cast iron tortilla press is a great choice for the average person. Make sure the tortilla press you choose is sturdy and made by a reputable brand that is known for good manufacturing quality. We recommend picking up this 8 inch cast iron tortilla press by Victoria. It is compact and sturdy with a reinforced handle.
How to choose a tortilla press
How do you choose a tortilla press? There are two different types of characteristics you should look for in a tortilla press. First, there are characteristics that everyone should look for in a tortilla press. For example, everyone should look for a tortilla press that is sturdy. Second, there are characteristics for which your exact needs will vary based on how you plan to use your tortilla press. Size is a great example of this type of characteristic. Someone with a very small kitchen might need a small tortilla press, whereas someone with more room might opt for a larger and more versatile option.
Tortilla press characteristics everyone should look for
- Sturdy. Tortilla presses are relatively simple and do not have a lot of moving parts. That means that there is not much that can go wrong with tortilla presses other than the structure itself breaking. That is why sturdiness is the absolute most important quality that you should look for in a tortilla press. Look for a tortilla press from a reputable brand that is known for quality construction such as Victoria.
- Reinforced handle. A tortilla press is only as sturdy as its weakest part. So what is the weakest part of a tortilla press? Usually the handle is the weakest part of the tortilla press. That is why we recommend looking for a tortilla press that has a reinforced handle.
Tortilla press characteristics that vary by use
Before you choose a tortilla press you have to make a few decisions about what characteristics are best for you. Here are the most important questions you need to ask yourself before you choose a tortilla press.
- What type of tortilla press do I want? The first question you need to ask yourself is what type of tortilla press you want. There are few different types of tortilla presses out there that are made of different materials. The most common types of tortilla presses are cast iron tortilla presses, aluminum tortilla presses, wooden tortilla presses, and electric tortilla presses. We will discuss the differences between these different types of tortilla presses in the next section
- What size of tortilla press do I want? Tortilla presses usually range in size from 6 inches to 8 inches. Some tortilla presses are up to 10 inches large so that they can make large tortillas for burritos. We will discuss the pros and cons of different sized tortilla presses later in this article.
What type of tortilla press should I get?
Are you wondering what type of tortilla press you should get? Here are the main types of tortilla presses that are available and the pros and cons of each type.
- Cast iron tortilla press. Cast iron tortilla presses tend to be the most common type of tortilla presses seen in the United States. We would recommend a cast iron tortilla press for the average person because cast iron tortilla presses are generally sturdier than aluminum tortilla presses and less bulky than wooden tortilla presses. Cast iron tortilla presses generally come in 6 – 8 inch sizes so they are a great option if you are looking for a compact tortilla press that will not take up too much room in your kitchen.
- Aluminum tortilla press. Aluminum tortilla presses are similar in shape and functionality to cast iron tortilla presses, they are just made with aluminum instead of cast iron. The main benefit that aluminum tortilla presses have over cast iron tortilla presses is that they are more lightweight. The main drawback of aluminum tortilla presses is that they are generally less sturdy and easier to break than cast iron tortilla presses. For this reason, we would recommend choosing a cast iron tortilla press over an aluminum tortilla press.
- Wooden tortilla press. Wooden tortilla presses are more traditional and tend to be more common in Mexico. The main benefit of wooden tortilla presses is that they are easier to find in large sizes if you are looking for something that is larger than 8 inches. The main drawback of wooden tortilla presses is that they are more bulky than other tortilla presses.
- Electric tortilla press. An electric tortilla press is an all-in-one tortilla press that can press your dough into a tortilla and cook the tortilla all in one step. While this is a cool idea in theory, the fact that these tortilla presses cook the tortillas also means that there are a lot more moving parts that are liable to break. For this reason, electric tortilla presses are generally less durable than other tortilla presses. We recommend avoiding electric tortilla presses unless you live in a home that does not have a stove that you can cook your tortillas on.
What size tortilla press should I get?
- 6 inch. The smallest size that tortilla presses commonly come in is 6 inches. A 6 inch tortilla press is a great option if you have a very small kitchen without much storage space.
- 8 inch. The next size up after 6 inches is 8 inches. This is the tortilla press size that Goldilocks would say is just right. We would recommend an 8 inch tortilla press for most people. 8 inch tortilla presses are more versatile than 6 inch tortilla presses because you can still make 6 inch tortillas in them. Just use less dough. The only reason to choose a 6 inch tortilla press over an 8 inch tortilla press is if you really do not have much storage space in your kitchen to the point where every inch counts.
- 10 inch. Are you looking to make tortillas for burritos? Then you may be looking for a 10 inch tortilla press. These are often referred to as burrito presses because they are mostly used to make tortillas for burritos. Due to the larger size of 10 inch burrito presses, 10 inch tortilla presses are sometimes more prone to breaking than smaller tortilla presses. We recommend getting an 8 inch tortilla press if you mostly are interested in making tortillas for tacos or smaller items. You really only need a 10 inch tortilla press if you plan to make tortillas for burritos frequently.
Tortilla press recommendations
Victoria is our go to brand for all of our cast iron needs. They sell tortilla presses in a variety of sizes including 6.5 inches, 8 inches, and 10 inches. We recommend picking up a Victoria cast iron tortilla press if you want a sturdy product that is going to last.
6.5 Inch Cast Iron Tortilla Press
8 Inch Cast Iron Tortilla Press
10 Inch Cast Iron Burrito Press
- Is a tortilla press worth it. In this article we discuss everything you need to know to make a decision on whether to buy a tortilla press. We discuss the methods that you can use to make tortillas without a tortilla press as well as the benefits that using a tortilla press provides over these other methods.
- Where to buy a tortilla press. Are you looking to buy a tortilla press but unsure where you can find one? In this articles we discuss the pros of and cons of buying a tortilla press online vs in person. We also discuss which retailers carry tortilla presses online and in stores.
- How to make thinner tortillas. In this article we give advice on how to use a tortilla press to make thinner tortillas. These tips will help you make nice, malleable tortillas that will not break when you roll them.