Are you looking for tips to make your go to grilled cheese sandwich even better? In this article we discuss all of our favorite techniques for making a grilled cheese better. We give pointers on what ingredients you should add as well as cooking techniques you can use to take your favorite grilled cheese recipe to the next level.
Don’t have enough time to read the full article? Cook your grilled cheese in a cast iron skillet (we recommend this set for first-timers) and use mayo rather than butter. Use cream cheese to make a creamy grilled cheese and mustard to add dimension. And most importantly, don’t forget to salt the outside of the grilled cheese when you are done.
Techniques for making a better grilled cheese
Are you looking for some easy cooking techniques and strategies for making a better grilled cheese sandwich? Here are some of our best tips.
- Toast the bread on a skillet. Forget about toasting your bread in a microwave or oven. Cook your bread in some butter or mayo (we’ll talk more about that later) in a skillet instead! This will help the bread develop a crispy, flavorful crust while remaining soft on the inside. It will give your grilled cheese a much better texture!
- Use a cast iron skillet. A cast iron skillet (we recommend this set for first-timers) will heat up easily and maintain a high temperature without fail. That means that cast iron is perfect for getting a nice sear on your grilled cheese sandwich. The best part is that you do not have to worry about a cast iron skillet losing heat when it is full. That means that you can make multiple grilled cheese sandwiches at the same time!
- Toast both sides of the bread. Don’t forget to toast both sides of your bread for a better grilled cheese. Toasting both sides of the bread makes your grilled cheese even tastier and it also helps the cheese inside of the bread melt faster.
- Butter the pan, not the bread. If you are using butter to toast your grilled cheese sandwich then you should make sure to put the butter on the pan rather than the bread. You should add the butter to the pan a minute or two before you add the bread to the pan so that it has time to cook and develop a richer flavor. Just make sure not to let it burn!
Ingredients for making a better grilled cheese
Are you looking for some common household ingredients you can add to make your go to grilled cheese sandwich even better? Here are some ingredients that are guaranteed to make a grilled cheese better.
- Mayo. We’ve all put mayo inside a sandwich before, but did you know that you can also put mayo on the outside of your sandwich? Many restaurants and commercial kitchens slather their bread with mayo rather than butter before cooking the bread. The mayo leaves a crispy and flavorful sear on the outside of the grilled cheese sandwich. This is a surefire way to make your favorite grilled cheese recipe even better. Note that if you use mayo then you should add the mayo to the bread rather than the pan. If you use butter you should add the butter to the pan rather than the bread.
- Salt. Grilled cheese sandwiches need a little salt to balance out all of the rich, creamy flavors just like any other rich dish. Make sure to salt the outside of your grilled cheese after cooking it. We recommend using a high quality sea salt or Himalayan salt that has coarser granules than regular table salt for best results.
- Cream cheese. Do you want your grilled cheese to be a little extra creamy? Try adding some cream cheese to your bread before you add the cheese. Cream cheese is good for a lot more than just bagels!
- Mustard. Do you wish your grilled cheese had a little more flavor? Add a little bit of mustard to your grilled cheese after you add the cheese. We recommend using dijon mustard or a grainy brown mustard to get the best flavor. We buy Inglehoffer mustard in bulk because we haven’t found anything that compares.
Our favorite grilled cheese recipes
- Basil grilled cheese
- Havarti grilled cheese
- Spinach grilled cheese
- Pineapple grilled cheese
- Smoked gouda grilled cheese
- Pickle grilled cheese
- Jalapeño popper grilled cheese
- Can you make a grilled cheese with frozen bread?
- Can you make a grilled cheese without butter?
- Best vegetarian grilled cheese recipes
- How to reheat grilled cheese sandwiches