Are you looking for a recipe for Mediterranean-inspired sweet potatoes? Or how about an easy recipe for garlic feta dip that is made with roasted garlic? Well either way, you are in the right place!
This recipe for Mediterranean sweet potatoes with garlic feta dip is made with fresh sweet potatoes that are coated with Mediterranean-inspired herbs. When these tasty sweet potatoes are done cooking, they are topped with a creamy garlic feta dip and sprinkled with feta cheese. The salty, savory flavor of the garlic feta dip provides the perfect contrast to the sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
What is in Mediterranean sweet potatoes?
What is used to make these Mediterranean sweet potatoes? Here are all the ingredients you need to make these Mediterranean sweet potatoes.
- Sweet potatoes. The first thing you need to make these Mediterranean sweet potatoes is some sweet potatoes. You should use fresh sweet potatoes rather than canned sweet potatoes or pre-cooked sweet potatoes.
- Salted butter. Salted butter is softened and brushed over the potatoes before they are cooked.
- Garlic powder, basil, oregano and dill. An assortment of dried herbs and spices are mixed in with the butter to give these Mediterranean sweet potatoes their signature flavor. Basil, oregano, dill, and garlic powder are all mixed with the butter. We recommend using dried spices to make these Mediterranean sweet potatoes.
How to make Mediterranean sweet potatoes
How do you make these Mediterranean-inspired sweet potatoes? Here is how to make these Mediterranean sweet potatoes.
- Preheat the oven. The first step in making these sweet potatoes is preheating your oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix the herb butter. As the oven preheats, start to mix the ingredients for the herb butter. The butter, garlic powder, basil, dill, and oregano should all be combined to make the herb butter. If the butter is not soft enough to mix the herbs and spices in, you can microwave the butter for a few seconds to soften it.
- Cut the potatoes. These Mediterranean sweet potatoes are prepared like hasselback potatoes. That means that cuts are made in the potatoes that go down about 3/4 of the way down towards the bottom of the potato. Parallel cuts should be made about 1/2 cm apart from each other. You will need a sharp, high quality knife in order to make these cuts. We recommend using a chef’s knife like this Victorinox Chef’s knife to slice the potatoes. Make sure not to make your cuts too deep so that you do not accidentally slice the potatoes in half.
- Add one third of the butter. After the potatoes have been cut, brush about a third of the Mediterranean-inspired herb butter over the potatoes. Push as much of the butter as you can down into the slices you made in the potatoes.
- Start cooking the potatoes. After the butter has been added, it is time to start cooking the potatoes. Cook the potatoes for about 25 minutes at 450 degrees before taking them out.
- Add the rest of the butter. Now it is time to add the rest of the butter to the potatoes. The potatoes should be more malleable now that they have cooked a little, so it should be easier to push more of the herb butter into the cracks between the slices of potatoes.
- Finish cooking the potatoes. Put the potatoes back in the oven and cook them for another 15 – 20 minutes.
What is in garlic feta dip?
What is in this garlic feta dip? Here are all the ingredients you need to make this garlic feta dip.
- Feta. The first ingredient in this garlic feta dip is feta cheese. The feta cheese will be blended in a food processor before the dip is finished so you can either use crumbled feta cheese or a block of feta cheese that is chopped into small pieces.
- Sour cream. The feta cheese is combined with sour cream to form the base for this garlic feta dip.
- Heavy cream. Some heavy cream is added to thin out the dip. The added liquid from the heavy cream makes it easier for the blender or food processor to blend the rest of the ingredients in the dip.
- Lemon juice. Some lemon juice is also added to the garlic feta dip. The acidity of the lemon juice brightens up the flavor of the dip and ensures that the dip does not taste too heavy.
- Garlic. Garlic is also used to flavor this garlic feta dip. The garlic is roasted in the oven before it is added to the garlic feta dip.
- Olive oil. Some olive oil is poured over the garlic before it is roasted in the oven. For best results, we recommend using a high quality olive oil with a buttery flavor like this olive oil from California Olive Ranch.
How to make garlic feta dip
How do you make garlic feta dip? Here is how to make garlic feta dip.
- Preheat your oven. The first step in making garlic feta dip is preheating your oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare the garlic. As your oven heats, you can prepare the garlic for the oven. Chop the tips off of the garlic so that just the tips of the garlic cloves are exposed. Place the garlic on a sheet of tinfoil then pour some olive oil over the top of the garlic. Wrap the tinfoil around the garlic so that it is completely enclosed.
- Roast the garlic. Once the garlic is ready and the oven is heated, roast the garlic for 25 minutes at 450 degrees.
- Blend the ingredients. Once the garlic is done cooking, all that is left is to blend the ingredients together. Combine all of the ingredients in the bowl of a small food processor or blender then blend the dip until it is smooth. We use the smoothie cup of our favorite Ninja blender to make this garlic feta dip and it is the perfect size!
Mediterranean sweet potatoes with garlic feta dip
- 1/2 cup feta (crumbled)
Roasted sweet potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup salted butter (softened)
- 1/2 tsp dill (dried)
- 1/2 tsp basil (dried)
- 1/2 tsp oregano (dried)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Garlic feta dip
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup feta
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Mediterranean sweet potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the sweet potatoes like hasselback potatoes. Create a series of parallel cuts across the length of the potatoes that are about 1/2 – 1 cm away from each other. The cuts should go about 3/4 of the way down towards the bottom of the potatoes. Be careful not to cut too deep or you might accidentally cut the potatoes in half.
- Microwave the butter for a few seconds to soften it then mix the butter with the garlic powder oregano, basil, and dill.
- Brush about 1/3 of the butter over the potatoes. Try to push some of the butter down into the cuts you made in the potatoes .
- Cook the potatoes in the oven for 25 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.We recommend putting the garlic for the garlic feta dip in the oven at the same time you put the sweet potatoes in the oven. See the garlic feta dip section for instructions on how to prepare the garlic.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and add the rest of the herb butter to the potatoes.It should be easier to push some of the butter into the slices that you made in the sweet potatoes after they have started cooking. Push as much butter as you can into these slices so that the butter does not melt off the side of the potato.
- Continue to cook the potatoes for 15 – 20 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. When the potatoes are done, they should be tender throughout.
Garlic feta dip
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop the tips off of the garlic so that just the tops of the garlic cloves are exposed. Keep the rest of the skin on the garlic.
- Put the garlic on a sheet of tinfoil then pour the olive oil over the garlic. Wrap the tinfoil around the garlic so that it is completely enclosed.
- Cook garlic for 25 minutes at 450.
- Let the garlic cool for a few minutes then blend all of the ingredients for the garlic feta dip together.
Mediterranean sweet potatoes with garlic feta dip
- Pour the garlic feta dip over the top of the roasted sweet potatoes. Sprinkle the crumbled feta over the top of the potatoes and serve.
Substitutions for Mediterranean sweet potatoes
- Salted butter. If you do not have salted butter, you can also use unsalted butter. If you use salted butter, you should also add some salt to the herb butter mixture.