Are you looking for an inventive way to use some leftover pineapple? Or a delicious sandwich that is a little sweet and a little spicy? Then you absolutely need to check out this recipe for pineapple grilled cheese sandwiches. These tasty pineapple sandwiches are stuffed with sweet caramelized pineapple, spicy jalapeños, zesty red onions, and of course a whole lot of cheese!
This recipe for pineapple grilled cheese sandwiches calls for gluten free bread so that the resulting sandwiches will be completely gluten free. However, if you do not have a gluten intolerance you could also make these pineapple sandwiches with regular bread. In addition to being gluten free, this recipe for pineapple grilled cheese sandwiches is vegetarian, egg free, and nut free.
What is in this pineapple sandwich?
What is in this pineapple grilled cheese sandwich? Here are the main ingredients in this pineapple grilled cheese sandwich.
- Cream cheese. The cream cheese contributes a whole lot of creaminess to this grilled cheese sandwich. I recommend adding a little cream cheese to any grilled cheese sandwich you make! Adding a little cream cheese is an easy modification to make and it has a huge impact in terms of flavor.
- Smoked gouda. Smoked gouda is a must for this grilled cheese sandwich. If you have ever had a Hawaiian pizza you will know that pineapple is commonly paired with smoked ham. That is because the smoky, salty taste of ham goes great with the sweet, tangy taste of pineapple. But what are you to do if you are a vegetarian? Add smoked gouda! The smoky, salty flavor of applewood smoked gouda plays the same role that the ham would and provides a delicious contrast to the sweet pineapple.
- Sharp cheddar. A little bit of cheddar cheese is added to give this sandwich that classic grilled cheese flavor you can only get from cheddar cheese.
- Caramelized pineapple. We all know that the caramelized pineapple is really the star of the show here! Slices of pineapple are cooked in coconut oil until they develop a nice caramel color (and flavor) on both sides.
- Jalapeños. The jalapeños add a little bit of spice to contrast the flavor of the sweet caramelized pineapple. If you do not like spicy food then you can omit the jalapeños, but if you are up for a little spice then the jalapeños are a must!
- Red onion. The red onions provide a fresh, zesty flavor that serves as a contrast to the heavy flavor of all the cheese in this sandwich.
Can you use canned pineapple for this sandwich?
Can you use canned pineapple to make this pineapple sandwich? You absolutely can! We recommend using fresh pineapple if possible, but if fresh pineapple is too expensive or hard to find then canned pineapple works fine! Canned pineapple is usually stored in juice so it is more wet than regular pineapple. You might need to cook the pineapple a little longer to cook off some of the juices before it starts to caramelize.
Tips for making the best grilled cheese
Are you looking for some tips to make your go to grilled cheese sandwich recipe even better? Here are some of our favorites! If you want even more tips, check out our article on how to make better grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Cook the bread in a skillet. If you want to make a grilled cheese that is particularly decadent then you should toast your bread in a skillet rather than in a toaster. If you toast your bread in a little bit of butter, or even mayo, it will make your bread even more flavorful.
- Toast both sides. Speaking of toasting your bread in a skillet, make sure to toast both sides of your bread! You should toast one side of the bread then flip it over and add cheese to the toasted side of the bread. The cheese will start to melt while you toast the second side of the bread.
- Add cream cheese. If you want to make your grilled cheese extra creamy then you should add a little bit of cream cheese to your grilled cheese. A little cream cheese goes a long way!
How to store pineapple grilled cheese sandwiches
How do you store leftover grilled cheese sandwiches? We recommend storing leftover grilled cheese sandwiches in the refrigerator in an airtight storage container. The sandwiches will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. For best results, we recommend putting a paper towel in the container with the sandwiches as it will absorb excess liquid and draw the liquid away from the sandwich bread.
How to reheat pineapple grilled cheese sandwiches
How do you reheat these pineapple grilled cheese sandwiches? You have a few options when it comes to reheating these pineapple grilled cheese sandwiches.
- In the microwave. The quickest and easiest way to reheat these pineapple grilled cheese sandwiches is to cook them in the microwave for 45 – 60 seconds on full power. That being said, sandwiches that are cooked in the microwave will have less crispy bread than sandwiches that are reheated in other ways.
- On the stove. If you want the bread on your grilled cheese sandwiches to be nice and crispy, we recommend reheating the sandwiches on the stove. We recommend reheating the sandwiches on low to medium low heat for a few minutes per side until the cheese inside the sandwiches melts. You may need to add a little extra butter to prevent the bread from sticking to the pan.
Pineapple grilled cheese sandwich
- 8 slices gluten free bread
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked gouda
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 8 rings sliced pineapple
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/4 red onion
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Chop the pineapple into thin slices if you are using fresh pineapple. If you are using canned pineapple then the pineapple should already be sliced into rings.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium high heat then add the pineapple to the pan. Cook the pineapple for 10-15 minutes or until it starts to brown on both sides. While the bread toasts you can move on to the next step.
- Slice the onions into thin strips and slice the jalapeños. Shred any cheese that needs to be shredded.
- Add the butter to the pan and toast the first side of the bread. When the first side of the bread is toasted flip it over and add the filling to the sandwich.
- Add cream cheese to both sides of the toasted bread. Then add the sharp cheddar, smoked gouda, pineapple, jalapeño, and red onion to one side of the bread. Put the other slice of bread on top of the sandwich.
- Cook the sandwich over medium heat for 5 minutes per side until the bread browns and the cheese melts.
Substitutions for pineapple sandwiches
- Red onion. If you do not have red onions then you can use white onion instead of red onion. We use red onion because it has a more mild taste when it is raw but white onion will also work just fine!
- Jalapeño. If you do not like your food spicy you can omit the jalapeños. You can leave out the jalapeños entirely or replace them with a sweet pepper such as a bell pepper if you prefer.
- Coconut oil. If you do not have coconut oil then you can also cook the pineapple in vegetable oil or another neutral oil.
- Ham. If you are not a vegetarian then you should consider adding some sliced ham to your pineapple sandwich. Pineapple and ham are combined in many sandwich recipes such as this one.
Other recipes you will love
Are you looking for other ways to use sweet caramelized pineapple? Check out this recipe for vegetarian Hawaiian pizza. This pizza is made with sweet caramelized pineapple, spicy jalapeños, and zesty red onions just like this pineapple sandwich.
Are you looking for another sweet and savory recipe that is made with fresh pineapple? Check out this recipe for pineapple tacos with red onions, green onions, and jalapeño cream cheese.
Are you looking for another fun grilled cheese recipe with an extra serving of veggies? Check out this recipe for spinach grilled cheese sandwiches with shallots, garlic, and lemon juice.
Are you looking for a grilled cheese recipe that is the perfect combination of sweet and salty? Check out this recipe for havarti grilled cheese with salty havarti cheese, sweet apricot jam, and fresh apple slices!