Are you looking for an easy recipe for refried bean tostadas? Well then you are in the right place! In this article, we tell you everything you need to know to learn how to make quick and easy refried bean tostadas. This simple recipe is made with just a few ingredients, only one of which needs to be heated before the tostadas can be assembled. That means that these refried bean tostadas are perfect for busy days where you want to make a quick meal on the go.
What is in refried bean tostadas?
What ingredients do you need to make this recipe for refried bean tostadas? Here are all of the ingredients you need to make these refried bean tostadas.
- Tostada shells. The first ingredient you need to make this recipe for refried bean tostadas is tostada shells. You can either buy premade tostada shells or make your own tostada shells with corn tortillas, vegetable oil, and salt.
- Refried beans. The next ingredient you need to make these refried bean tostadas is refried beans. You can either buy store bought refried beans or make your own refried beans with pinto beans.
- White onion. You will also need some white onion to make this recipe for refried bean tostadas.
- Green onion. In addition to the white onion that is used in this recipe, some green onion is also added to give the tostadas even more flavor.
- Cotija. Cotija cheese is the main type of cheese that is used in these tostadas. The cotija cheese should be grated or crumbled into small pieces before being added to the tostadas.
- Crema. Some Mexican crema is also used in this recipe. If you cannot find crema at your local grocery store, you can use a mixture of heavy cream and sour cream in place of the crema.
- Hot sauce. Finally, some hot sauce is added to finish these tostadas off. If you do not like spicy food, you can substitute in lime juice for some hot sauce.
How to make refried bean tostadas
How do you make refried bean tostadas? Here are all the steps you need to follow to make these easy refried bean tostadas.
- Dice the white onions and slice the green onions. The first step in making these refried bean tostadas is preparing the onions. Dice the onions into small pieces and slice the green onions into thin slices.
- Heat the refried beans. After you have prepared the onions, it is time to heat the refried beans. The easiest way to heat the refried beans is to transfer them into a microwave safe bowl and microwave them on high for 60 to 90 seconds.
- Assemble the tostadas. After that, all that is left is to assemble the tostadas. Start by smearing the refried beans on the tostadas. After that, sprinkle the green onion, white onion, and cotija cheese on top of the tostadas. Finally, drizzle the crema and hot sauce over the tostadas.
How to store refried bean tostadas
How do you store these refried bean tostadas? For best results, we recommend storing the ingredients for the refried bean tostadas separately and waiting to combine the ingredients until you are ready to eat them. If you assemble the tostadas ahead of time and store the fully assembled tostadas, the liquids from the toppings will seep into the tostada shells. This might make the tostada shells soggy.
Each of the ingredients should be stored in an airtight container or ziplock bag and kept in the refrigerator. The one exception to this is the tostada shells. If you use store-bought tostada shells then you likely do not need to refrigerate them.
How to reheat refried bean tostadas
How do you reheat refried bean tostadas? The refried beans are the only part of these refried bean tostadas that need to be heated before serving. For best results, you should store the refried beans separately from the rest of the ingredients so that they can be reheated on their own. The easiest way to reheat the refried beans is to transfer them into a microwave safe bowl and microwave them on high for 60 to 90 seconds.
Refried bean tostadas
- 8 tostadas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/3 cup white onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup green onion (sliced)
- 1/4 cup mexican crema
- 1/3 cup cotija (crumbled)
- hot sauce
- Dice the white onions and slice the green onions.
- Transfer the refried beans into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the refried beans for 60 to 90 seconds until they are heated throughout. If the beans are not heating evenly, you might need to mix the beans half way through.
- Assemble the tostadas. Start by spreading the refried beans over the tostada shells.After that, sprinkle the green onions, white onions, and cotija cheese on top of the tostadas.Finally, drizzle the crema and hot sauce over the tostadas.
How to reheat refried bean tostadas
- Hot sauce. If you do not like spicy food then you can omit the hot sauce from this recipe. If you omit the hot sauce, you should substitute in some lime juice instead. This will add some acid that will brighten up the flavor of these tostadas.
- Crema. If you cannot find Mexican crema at your local grocery store, you can use a 1 to 1 mixture of heavy cream and sour cream as a replacement for the crema. The flavor will not be exactly the same, but it will still taste great.
Other recipes you will love
- Vegetarian tostadas with queso dip
- Avocado tostadas
- Easy Mexican “pizza“
- Poblano quesadilla
- Guacamole quesadilla
- Pineapple quesadilla