Are you looking for an easy pasta recipe that is loaded with fresh herbs? Then you are in the right place! This recipe for creamy garlic herb pasta is made with a creamy pasta sauce that is flavored with fresh chives, basil, and dill. The best part about this easy recipe is that it can be made in under 30 minutes with only one pot.
We make our creamy garlic herb pasta with gluten free pasta and gluten free all purpose flour so that the recipe is entirely gluten free. That being said, you can also make this recipe with regular pasta and flour if you do not have a gluten intolerance. A simple 1:1 substitution will work perfectly.
What is in creamy garlic herb pasta?
What is in this recipe for creamy garlic herb pasta? Here are all of the ingredients that are required to make this recipe for creamy garlic herb pasta.
- Gluten free pasta. The first thing you will need to make this creamy garlic herb pasta is gluten free pasta. We generally make this recipe with Barilla gluten free fettuccine or gluten free ditalini. If you do not have a gluten intolerance, you can use regular pasta in place of gluten free pasta.
- Heavy cream. Heavy cream is the main base that is used to make the sauce for this creamy garlic herb pasta. We use heavy cream rather than milk because the fats in the heavy cream help prevent the sauce from curdling when the parmesan cheese is added.
- Parmesan cheese. Parmesan cheese is another one of the main ingredients in the creamy garlic herb sauce. If you are a vegetarian, you should make sure to use a parmesan-style cheese that is not made with animal rennet.
- Butter. Butter serves multiple purposes in this recipe for creamy garlic herb pasta. First, the butter is used to cook the garlic. The butter is also combined with flour to make a roux to thicken the sauce.
- Gluten free all purpose flour. Gluten free all purpose flour is used to thicken the creamy garlic herb sauce. The starches in the flour also help to prevent the sauce from curdling after the parmesan cheese is added.
- Garlic. Garlic is added to the creamy garlic herb pasta sauce to give it even more flavor. The garlic is cooked for a very short period of time so that it maintains a strong flavor.
- Fresh chives. Fresh chives are the first herb that is used in this recipe for creamy garlic herb pasta. We recommend using fresh chives rather than dried chives because chives are one of the main herbs used to make the pasta sauce.
- Fresh basil. Fresh basil is the second herb that is used in this recipe for creamy garlic herb pasta. We recommend using fresh basil rather than dried basil because basil is one of the main herbs used to make the pasta sauce.
- Fresh dill. Fresh dill is the final herb that is used in this recipe for creamy garlic herb pasta. The dill is used in smaller quantities, so you can substitute the fresh dill with dried dill if necessary. We use McCormick Dill Weed when we do not have fresh dill.
- Salt. Finally, some salt is added to finish off this recipe.
How do you make cream garlic herb pasta?
How do you make creamy garlic herb pasta? Here is how to make this creamy garlic herb pasta.
- Boil the pasta. The first step in making this creamy garlic herb pasta is cooking the pasta. Boil a pot of lightly salted water over high heat then add the pasta and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box. When the pasta water is done, make sure to reserve some of the pasta water for thinning the sauce.
- Mince the garlic and herbs. As the pasta boils, you can start to mince the garlic and the herbs. You should dice the herbs as finely as possible so that they get evenly distributed throughout the dish. For best results, we recommend using a high quality chef’s knife such as this Victorinox chef’s knife.
- Make a roux. After you mince the garlic and herbs, it is time to start making the pasta sauce. Melt the butter in a medium sized pot over medium heat then add the flour and garlic to the pot. Cook the garlic and flour for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and pasta water. After you make the roux, slowly mix the heavy cream and pasta water into the roux. Let the sauce boil for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Add the cheese. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir the parmesan cheese into the sauce. Continue to stir the sauce until the cheese melts.
- Add the herbs and sauce. Mix the herbs and salt into the pasta sauce. Combine the pasta and the sauce.
How do you store creamy garlic herb pasta?
This creamy garlic herb pasta should be stored in the refrigerator in an air-tight food storage container. If stored properly, this creamy garlic herb pasta will last for 3 days in the refrigerator.
We do not recommend freezing this creamy garlic herb pasta. Cheese-based sauces tend to curdle when they are frozen and thawed.
How do you reheat creamy garlic herb pasta?
This creamy garlic herb pasta is easy to reheat! This pasta can be reheated in the microwave on full power. We recommend cooking the pasta for 45 – 75 seconds or until the pasta is heated throughout. For best results, we recommend taking the pasta out and stirring it once or twice so that the sauce does not get too hot in one pot and cuddle.
Creamy garlic herb pasta
- 8 oz pasta
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (vegetarian parmesan style cheese)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup pasta water (as needed to thin sauce)
- 3 tbsp chives (fresh, chopped)
- 2 tbsp basil (fresh, chopped)
- 2 tsp dill (fresh, or less dried)
- Boil a pot of salted water over high heat. When the water starts to boil, add the pasta and cook it according to the institutions on the box.When the pasta is done cooking, reserve some of the pasta water. The water will be used to thin out the sauce.
- Mince the fresh herbs and garlic into small pieces. Keep the garlic separate from the herbs.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and flour to the butter and cook them for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Slowly stir the heavy cream and pasta water into the flour mixture. Stir the pasta sauce continuously as you add the liquid. If the liquid is added too quickly, clumps of flour will form in the sauce.
- Cook the sauce for 3 – 5 minutes until it thickens.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add the parmesan cheese. Slowly stir the cheese into the sauce until it is fully incorporated.
- Mix the herbs and salt into the sauce. Combine the sauce with the pasta and serve.
Substitutions for creamy garlic herb pasta
- Gluten free pasta. If you do not have a gluten intolerance, you can use regular pasta in place of the gluten free pasta. A simple 1:1 substitution will work perfectly!
- Gluten free all purpose flour. If you do not have a gluten intolerance, you can use regular all purpose flour in place of the gluten free all purpose flour. A simple 1:1 substitution will work well here.
Other recipes you will love
This recipe for creamy pesto pasta with veggies is another one of our all time favorite pasta recipes. This tasty recipe is made with onion, garlic, spinach, tomatoes and broccoli.
This recipe for gnocchi with creamy pesto sauce is loaded with flavor! This tasty recipe is made with sun dried tomatoes and spinach.