Are you looking for a potato recipe that is bursting with flavor? Then check out this recipe for garlic butter baby potatoes. These crispy baby potatoes are topped with sweet caramelized shallots, creamy butter, and of course lots of garlic!
This recipe for garlic butter baby potatoes is gluten free, egg free, and vegetarian friendly. It can easily be made dairy free and vegan friendly by using vegan butter.
What is on these baby potatoes?
What is on these garlic butter baby potatoes? Here are the main ingredients that are used to flavor these garlic butter baby potatoes.
- Garlic. A generous portion of fresh garlic is used in these garlic butter baby potatoes. We recommend using at least four cloves of garlic, but if you are a garlic lover then you can add even more!
- Garlic powder. In addition to the fresh garlic, some garlic powder is also added to these garlic butter baby potatoes. The garlic powder gets more evenly dispersed throughout the dish to ensure that you get some garlicky goodness in every bite!
- Butter. Butter is the main fat that is used in this recipe for garlic butter baby potatoes. We recommend using unsalted butter, but if you can only find salted butter then that will work too! Just reduce the amount of additional salt that is added to the potatoes.
- Shallots. Sliced shallots are served alongside these baby potatoes to give them even more flavor. The shallots are cooked until the sugars in the shallots start to caramelize and they develop a sweet flavor. This adds a pleasant sweetness that contrasts the bite of the fresh garlic.
- Lemon juice. A little lemon juice is squirted on top of the baby potatoes right as they are done cooking. The lemon juice adds a nice splash of acidity that brightens up the dish and cuts through the heaviness of the butter.
- Parsley. Some dried parsley is added to give these garlic butter baby potatoes even more flavor. Fresh parsley would also be a great addition if you have some laying around.
- Salt & pepper. Finally, these potatoes are finished off with some salt and pepper. The salt and pepper help to enhance all of the other flavors in the dish and ensure that they shine.
How to make these baby potatoes
How do you make these garlic butter baby potatoes? Here are all the steps you need to take to make these garlic butter baby potatoes.
- Chop the potatoes, onions, and garlic. The first step in making these garlic butter baby potatoes is to chop all of the vegetables. You should halve the baby potatoes and slice the shallots into long, thin strips. The garlic should be minced into small pieces.
- Cook the potatoes and shallots. After you have chopped all of the vegetables, it is time to cook the potatoes and shallots. Heat a pan over medium heat then add the butter, spices, potatoes and garlic. Cook until the potatoes are tender on the inside and the shallots have started to caramelize.
- Add the garlic. When the potatoes and shallots are mostly done cooking, add the garlic to the pan and let the garlic cook for a few minutes.
- Add the lemon. Finally, add the lemon to the potatoes before serving.
How to store these baby potatoes
How do you store these garlic butter baby potatoes? We recommend storing these garlic butter baby potatoes in the refrigerator in an airtight container. You can store them in a food storage container or an airtight bag. You should eat the potatoes within a few days after cooking them.
How to reheat these baby potatoes
- On the stove. If you want your potatoes to be nice and crispy, then the best way to reheat them is on the stove. You should add a little bit of butter to a pan and heat it over medium heat before adding the potatoes. After the pan is heated, cook the potatoes until they are warm throughout.
- In the microwave. If you are looking for a quicker way to reheat these garlic butter baby potatoes, you can also reheat them in the microwave. We recommend microwaving the potatoes for 1 – 2 minutes on full power depending on how many potatoes you have left.
Garlic butter baby potatoes
- 1 package baby potatoes (24 oz package)
- 2 shallots
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cut the baby potatoes in half and slice the shallots into long, thin slices. Mince the garlic into small pieces.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat then add the butter. Cook the baby potatoes and shallots over medium heat for 20 - 25 minutes until the potatoes are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.You should stir the potatoes occasionally, but not too frequently that the potatoes do not have time to crisp up before they are flipped.
- Add the garlic and spices to the potatoes and cook the potatoes for another 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the potatoes and mix well.
Substitutions for garlic butter baby potatoes
- Butter. This recipe for garlic butter baby potatoes can easily be made dairy free and vegan friendly by replacing the dairy butter with a plant-based alternative.
- Shallots. If you do not have any shallots then you can use onions in place of the shallots. We recommend using around half of an onion and opting for sweet onions if possible. The onions might need to cook a little longer than the shallots would.
Other recipes you will love
Are you looking for another easy potato recipe? Check out this recipe for lemon dill baby potatoes! This tasty recipe is flavored with a combination of lemon zest, lemon juice, dill, and brown sugar.
Are you looking for something a little more sweet? Then check out this recipe for loaded sweet potato fries! These tasty fries are piled high with fresh fruits and vegetables!