Are you looking for a tasty vegetarian wrap that is loaded with flavor? Then check out this easy recipe for hummus avocado wraps. These tasty wraps are stuffed with hummus, avocado, arugula, feta, cucumber, and zesty red onions.
We make these hummus avocado wraps with gluten free tortillas so that the wraps will be entirely gluten free. Specifically, we use Toufayan gluten free wraps because they are extremely flexible and never crack when they are folded. However, if you do not have a gluten intolerance then you can use regular wheat based wraps.
What is in hummus avocado wraps?
What is in hummus avocado wraps? Here are the main ingredients that are used to make these hummus avocado wraps.
- Gluten free tortillas. Large, burrito-style tortillas are used to make these avocado hummus wraps. We always use Toufayan gluten free wraps because they are the most durable and flexible gluten free wraps around. If you do not have a gluten intolerance, then you could also use regular wheat based wraps.
- Hummus. You will also need hummus to make these wraps. We generally use plain hummus, but you can also use a mildly flavored hummus such as roasted garlic hummus. Try to avoid using hummus with a strong flavor such as
- roasted red pepper hummus.
- Avocado. Lots of fresh avocado is also used to make these hummus avocado wraps. The creamy flavor of the avocado goes perfectly with the creamy flavor of the hummus. You can either mash the avocado or dice it into cubes depending on how you prefer to eat avocado.
- Arugula. The arugula is used to add some bulk to these hummus avocado wraps. The slight bitterness of the arugula adds more dimension to these creamy vegetarian wraps.
- Feta. Some feta cheese is also used to make these hummus avocado wraps. The tangy, salty flavor of the feta cheese serves a nice contrast to the smooth, creamy flavor of the hummus and avocado.
- Cucumber. Thinly sliced cucumber is also added to these hummus avocado wraps. The crispy cucumber adds a little variety in texture to the wraps.
- Red onion. Raw red onion is all added to these hummus avocado wraps. The bold, zesty flavor of the red onion serves as a perfect contrast to the mild, creamy flavors in the wraps.
- Homemade greek dressing. An easy homemade greek dressing is used to give these hummus avocado wraps a touch of acidity that balances out the creaminess of the hummus and avocado. Keep reading for more information on what is in the homemade greek dressing.
What is in the homemade greek dressing?
What is in the homemade greek dressing that is used in these hummus avocado wraps? Here are all the ingredients in the homemade greek dressing.
- Olive oil. The main ingredient in this homemade greek dressing is olive oil. We recommend using a smooth, buttery olive oil. We always use California Olive Ranch olive oil when we make homemade dressings. It is the smoothest olive oil around!
- Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is the main acid that is used in the homemade greek dressing. If you do not have apple cider vinegar then you can use another vinegar such as white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar. You should avoid using strongly flavored vinegars such as balsamic vinegar.
- Dijon mustard. A little bit of dijon mustard is added to give the greek dressing even more flavor. We use this Inglehoffer dijon mustard. Inglehoffer is our go to brand for all things mustard. Their products are incredibly flavorful – and most of them are labeled as gluten free! Note that if you have an egg allergy, this mustard does contain eggs.
- Oregano. Some dried oregano is added to the dressing to give the hummus avocado wraps even more flavor. Oregano is a spice that is commonly used in mediterranean food alongside hummus and cucumbers. It is super common in greek dressings of all kinds.
- Salt. Finally, some salt is added to the dressing. The salt enhances all of the other flavors in the dressing.
How to make hummus avocado wraps
How do you make these hummus avocado wraps? Here are all the steps you need to take in order to make these hummus avocado wraps.
- Slice the vegetables. The first step in making these hummus avocado wraps is slicing all of the vegetables for the wraps. The cucumbers should be sliced into thin slices and the red onions should be sliced into long, thin slices. The avocado can be mashed, cubed, or sliced into long slices depending on what you prefer.
- Mix the dressing ingredients. After you slice all of the ingredients for these hummus avocado wraps, you should mix the ingredients for the dressing.
- Assemble the wraps. After the ingredients have been prepared it is time to assemble the wraps. Lay all of the fillings out in a line about in the middle of the wrap then roll the wrap up. You can either roll the wrap up like a burrito or just fold the tortilla over.
Are hummus avocado wraps healthy?
Are these hummus avocado wraps healthy? Of course! These hummus avocado wraps are loaded with fresh fruits and vegetables that bring a combination of nutrients and flavor to the table. The hummus in these wraps is also made with chickpeas that are loaded with protein.
Hummus avocado wraps
- 4 gluten free wraps
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 small avocados
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Slice all of the veggies for the hummus avocado wraps. The cucumbers should be sliced into thin round slices and the red onions should be sliced into long, thin strips. The avocado can be mashed, cubed, or sliced depending on what you prefer.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the homemade greek dressing in a small bowl.
- Assemble each hummus avocado wraps by laying all of the ingredients for the filling out in a line near the middle of the tortilla. You can wrap the hummus avocado wraps up like burritos or just roll the wraps up without closing the ends
Substitutions for hummus avocado wraps
- Gluten free tortillas. If you do not have a gluten intolerance then you can use regular tortillas rather than gluten free tortillas to make these hummus avocado wraps.
- Feta cheese. If you do not have feta cheese, you can replace the feta cheese with another salty crumbly cheese. Cotija cheese would also go well in these hummus avocado wraps.
- Apple cider vinegar. If you do not have apple cider vinegar then you can use another vinegar such as white wine vinegar or red wine vinegar. You should avoid using vinegars that have strong, syrupy flavors such as balsamic vinegar.
- Dijon mustard. If you do not have dijon mustard then you can use another type of mustard to make the homemade greek dressing. We recommend using a grainy brown mustard over a yellow mustard.
Other recipes you will love
Are you looking for another vegetarian wrap idea that can easily be made gluten free? Check out this recipe for gluten free buffalo cauliflower wraps!
1 thought on “Hummus avocado wraps”
Thanks a lot for sharing this great recipe