This buffalo cauliflower pizza is absolutely loaded with bold flavors! The tangy buffalo sauce, creamy sour cream drizzle, and zesty red onions come together in perfect harmony to create a pizza that is the perfect balance of creamy and spicy.
This buffalo cauliflower pizza is made with a gluten free pizza crust so it is entirely gluten free. However, if you do not have a gluten intolerance then you could also make this pizza with a regular pizza crust. In addition to being gluten free, this buffalo cauliflower pizza is vegetarian, egg free, and nut free.
What is on buffalo cauliflower pizza
This buffalo cauliflower pizza is loaded with flavorful toppings! From the tangy buffalo sauce to the creamy mozzarella cheese, every ingredient on this pizza has something to contribute. So what is on this buffalo cauliflower pizza?
- Buffalo sauce. Buffalo sauce is used in multiple ways on this pizza. Buffalo sauce is used as the main sauce on the base of this pizza rather than a more traditional sauce like tomato sauce. Then even more buffalo sauce is added in the form of buffalo cauliflower wings.
- Mozzarella cheese. Did someone say cheese please? If you have seen any of our previous pizza recipes then you will know that we love to top our pizzas with piles of creamy, melty mozzarella cheese. This pizza is no different!
- Buffalo cauliflower. Bite sized pieces of cauliflower are battered and roasted then coated in buffalo sauce. The buffalo cauliflower gives this pizza an extra burst of spicy, tangy buffalo goodness.
- Sour cream & heavy cream drizzle. A bit of sour cream is mixed with heavy cream to create a creamy drizzle that perfectly compliments the spicy buffalo sauce. The sour cream and heavy cream mixture is added after the pizza has already been cooked.
- Onions. Two varieties of onions are used to make this buffalo cauliflower pizza. Sliced red onions are added before the pizza is put in the oven and are cooked with the pizza. After the pizza is fully cooked, green onions are added to top the pizza off.
How to make homemade buffalo sauce
Do you want to make homemade buffalo sauce for your pizza? It is easy to make homemade buffalo sauce from a few common household ingredients! Here are the ingredients you will need to make homemade buffalo sauce for this pizza.
- 2/3 cup hot sauce
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
All you need to do is make buffalo sauce is to microwave the butter until it melts then mix the butter with the rest of the ingredients. If any of your ingredients, such as your hot sauce, are stored in the refrigerator then you should add them to the bowl with the butter and microwave them with the butter. Adding cold ingredients to the warm melted butter can have undesirable effects on the consistency of the sauce.
Additional toppings for buffalo cauliflower pizza
Are you looking for more toppings for this buffalo cauliflower pizza? There are so many toppings you can add to this pizza to turn the flavor up to eleven. Here are some of our favorite toppings to add to buffalo cauliflower pizza.
- Blue cheese crumbles. Blue cheese and buffalo sauce are a classic duo! Blue cheese has a slightly tangy flavor that perfectly compliments the tanginess of the buffalo sauce. We will warn that many kinds of blue cheese are made with animal rennet so they are not appropriate for people who follow a vegetarian diet. There are some brands, however, that do make vegetarian varieties of blue cheese.
- Queso fresco. If you cannot find vegetarian blue cheese but you still want some creamy cheese crumbles then try adding some crumbled queso fresco on top of your pizza. Queso fresco is a sweet, creamy cheese that provides a beautiful contrast to the spiciness of the buffalo sauce.
- Ranch dressing. Do you love ranch dressing? If you are a huge fan of ranch dressing then you can use ranch dressing in place of the sour cream drizzle. The ranch dressing will provide just as much creamy goodness as the sour cream drizzle.
- Chopped avocado. Avocados are a great option if you are looking for a healthier addition for this buffalo cauliflower pizza. Avocados are creamy just like queso fresco, blue cheese, and ranch dressing but they also count as an extra serving of fruits & vegetables. It doesn’t get much better than that!
How to store buffalo cauliflower pizza
We recommend storing this buffalo cauliflower pizza in an airtight bag or food storage container. If the pizza is stored in an airtight container, the pizza will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can also try storing this pizza in an airtight container in the freezer, but we have not tried it. We will caution that the red onions might become soft if frozen and thawed. If you store this pizza in the freezer, it will keep for up to 3 months.
How to reheat buffalo cauliflower pizza
You have a few options when it comes to reheating this buffalo cauliflower pizza. Here are your best options for reheating this pizza.
- In the microwave. The quickest and easiest way to reheat this pizza is in the microwave. We recommend heating pizza that has come out of the refrigerator for 30 – 60 seconds on full power. The pizza is done when the cheese is melted and the cauliflower is warm throughout.
- In the oven. Pizza that is reheated in the microwave will not be as crispy as pizza that is reheated in the oven. If you want your pizza base to be nice and crispy, we recommend reheating the pizza in the oven. Pizza that is coming out of the refrigerator should be reheated for around 5 – 7 minutes at 400 degrees.
Buffalo cauliflower pizza
- 9 oz gluten free pizza dough
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup buffalo sauce (gluten free & vegetarian brand)
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 stalks green onion
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Mix the flour, water, sugar, and salt to create a batter then coat the cauliflower in the batter. The batter should be thin enough that it coats the cauliflower in a relatively thin layer but thick enough that it still sticks to the cauliflower. If the batter is so thin that it falls right off the cauliflower then add more flour 1/2 tbsp at a time. If the batter is so thick that it coats the cauliflower in a thick, goopy layer then add more water to the batter 1 tsp at a time.
- Bake the cauliflower for 15 minutes at 450 degrees.
- After the cauliflower is done cooking, use 1/3 - 2/3 of the buffalo sauce to coat the battered cauliflower bites.
Buffalo cauliflower pizza
- Increase the oven temperature to 475 degrees.
- Roll the pizza crust out so that it is 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. We recommend shaping the pizza crust on a sheet of parchment paper that can be transferred to a baking sheet or pizza stone for cooking. If your pizza dough is sticky, you will need to cover your hands in flour or olive oil to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
- Slice the red onions and green onions then mix the sour cream and heavy cream to make the sour cream drizzle.
- Add the buffalo sauce, mozzarella, buffalo cauliflower, and red onions to the pizza then bake the pizza for 15 - 18 minutes at 475 degrees.
- After the pizza has come out of the oven, add the sour cream drizzle and the green onions to the top of the pizza. If you are having trouble distributing the sour cream drizzle evenly then try using piping bags or a ziplock bag with a small hole cut in one corner to apply the drizzle.
Substitutions for this buffalo cauliflower pizza
- Gluten free pizza crust. If you do not have a gluten intolerance then you could also make this recipe with a regular pizza crust.
- Gluten free all purpose flour. If you do not have a gluten intolerance then you could also make this recipe with regular all purpose flour.
- Sour cream & heavy cream. If you are a fan of ranch dressing then you could use ranch dressing instead of the heavy cream & sour cream drizzle. Ranch dressing will add just as much creaminess to the pizza.
Other recipes you will love
Do you want to make your own gluten free pizza crust? All you need to make this recipe for gluten free pizza crust is gluten free all purpose flour, water, salt, sugar, and yeast. It’s as simple as that!
Are you looking for another flavorful vegetarian pizza recipe? Check out this recipe for vegetarian Hawaiian pizza. This tasty pizza is made with sweet caramelized pineapple, spicy jalapeños, tangy BBQ sauce, zesty red onions, and mozzarella cheese.
Are you looking for a fun new twist on gluten free pizza? Check out this recipe for gluten free calzones. In this recipe we tell you everything you need to know about how to make calzones from scratch with easy step-by-step instructions.
Are you looking for another fun recipe that is loaded with tangy buffalo sauce? Check out this recipe for buffalo cauliflower wraps. These wraps are topped with buffalo cauliflower, celery, green onions, red cabbage, and a creamy avocado yogurt sauce that perfectly contrasts the spice of the buffalo sauce.
Are you on the hunt for other inventive ways to use buffalo sauce? Then check out this recipe for buffalo Brussels sprouts! These Brussels sprouts are sautéed until they are nice and crispy then they are topped with tangy buffalo sauce.
Are you looking for a quick and easy snack that is full of tangy buffalo sauce flavor? Check out this recipe for white bean buffalo dip! It only takes a few minutes to make this delicious dip from scratch!