Are you looking for a fun place to grab a sweet treat in Portland, Oregon? Well then you are in the right place! In this article, we discuss all of the best gluten free bakeries, ice cream shops, and donut shops in Portland, Oregon.
For each bakery and ice cream shop we discuss in this article, we also provide information that will help you decide whether that spot is right for you. Whether you are looking for a casual spot to grab an allergy-friendly ice cream or a full scale bakery where you can grab some fresh baked bread, there is a spot on this list for you.
Characteristics of gluten free bakeries
For each gluten free bakery we mention in this article, we will provide the following information to help you decide whether that bakery is right for you.
- Gluten free status. The first thing we will talk about is the gluten free status of the bakery. Specifically, we will mention whether the bakery is dedicated to gluten free food or not.
- Other dietary restrictions. After that, we will talk about other dietary restrictions that the bakery caters to. For example, some of these bakeries are also dedicated to dairy free treats or vegan treats.
- Main focus. After that, we will talk about the main focus of each bakery. Some of these bakeries focus only on sweets and desserts, whereas others carry a larger range of breads and bagels. Some of them focus more on baked goods and others focus more on ice cream and frozen treats.
- Location. We will also discuss the location of each of these gluten free bakeries. This will include information on what part of the city each bakery is located, which tourist attractions each bakery is located near, and how easy each bakery is to access via public transportation.
- Seating. Finally, we will discuss the seating options that are available at each bakery. Some of these bakeries have limited seating options, whereas others have plentiful indoor and outdoor seating.
Our favorite gluten free bakeries in Portland
New Cascadia Traditional
New Cascadia Traditional is a bakery that truly does it all. It is no surprise that they are one of the most popular gluten free bakeries in Portland. New Cascadia Traditional is the perfect spot for anyone who wants to be able to pick up a sweet treat and also bread or bagels they can eat later in the week. They are a great place to hit up if you are looking for fried donuts that are light and flaky.
- Gluten free status. New Cascadia Traditional is a dedicated gluten free bakery.
- Other dietary restrictions. Vegan options are available and clearly labeled on the menu.
- Main focus. Breads and baked goods. New Cascadia Traditional serves such a wide variety of items that it is hard to define exactly what their focus is. One one hand, they have multiple savory bread products ranging from baguettes to bagels. On the other hand, they also have a wide variety of pastries and sweet treats ranging from donuts and cinnamon rolls to cookies. They even have cooking supplies that you can take home and make your own meal with like pizza dough and pie crusts.
- Location. New Cascadia Traditional is located in the Southeast portion of Portland in an area that has many restaurants and bakeries around. It is not particularly close to any large tourist attractions, which means that it is a little more difficult to get to via public transportation. While it is not a long ride to get to Cascadia New Traditional from downtown Portland, you may have to transfer buses along the way. If you have a car, then New Cascadia Traditional will be a quick and easy drive from most downtown areas.
- Seating. There are both indoor and outdoor seating options available at New Cascadia Traditional. That being said, they are a very popular spot so it can sometimes be competitive to find seating during peak hours (such as weekend mornings). This is a very popular spot that often has a line out the door.
Mokiko Mochi donuts
Mokiko Mochi Donuts is the place to go to if you are looking for unique gluten free baked goods that you cannot get anywhere else. They specialize in making mochi donuts that come in a variety of unique and creative flavors. They also make breakfast sandwiches and hotdogs that are served on mochi-based buns.
- Gluten free status. Mokiko is a dedicated gluten free facility that uses rice-based flours instead of traditional wheat-based flour.
- Other dietary restrictions. Mokiko is also great for anyone who has to avoid dairy. All of their donuts are dairy free. They do serve some breakfast sandwiches that come with cheese, but they are clearly marked on the menu.
- Main focus. Donuts. The vast majority of the products that are sold at Mokiko are donuts. They do have a few options for people who are looking for more of a savory snack, but mochi donuts make up the majority of their menu. Their donuts come in fun flavors random from horchata pudding to yuzu vanilla funfetti.
- Location. Mokiko is located on the East side of the river in a fairly central area that is not too far north or south. There are not many popular tourist attractions in the immediate area, but there are plenty of restaurants and bakeries. Since Mokiko is fairly centrally located, it is relatively easy to access via public transportation.
- Seating. There are both indoor and outdoor seating options available at Mikiko. There is plenty of seating available and it is generally not that competitive to get a seat.
Kate’s Ice Cream
Kate’s Ice Cream is a lovely ice cream shop that is a dream for people with allergies and food intolerances. They carry a variety of ice cream flavors and baked goods that can be used to make sundaes and ice cream sandwiches. Everything that they produce in their facility is gluten free and vegan.
- Gluten free status. Kate’s Ice Cream is a dedicated gluten free facility.
- Other dietary restrictions. The ice cream that is made at Kate’s is also entirely plant based. That means that it is perfect for anyone who has a dairy or egg allergy, as well as anyone who maintains a vegan diet.
- Main focus. Kate’s Ice Cream is at its core an ice cream shop, which means that they have a strong focus on ice cream. They do also have a few baked goods like cookies that can be used to make ice cream sandwiches. If you want to take some ice cream to go, they also sell pints of some of their most popular flavors.
- Location. Kate’s Ice Cream is located on the East side of the river in a fairly central location that has lots of restaurants and bakeries. It is not near many major tourist attractions. That being said, it is fairly easy to access via public transit because it is close to the river and fairly centrally located.
- Seating. There is a decent amount of indoor seating in the ice cream shop, but it is a popular destination so it can be competitive to get seating on warm summer nights. The availability of seating can vary depending on the time of day.
Gluten Free Gem
Gluten Free Gem is a lovely bakery that offers a wide variety of sweets and desserts. They are located relatively close to the river, so they are fairly easy to get to from most downtown areas. They are one of the best options out there if you are a fan of gluten free tiramisu.
- Gluten free status. As the name suggests, gluten free gem bakery is a dedicated gluten free facility.
- Other dietary restrictions. There are also vegan options available that are clearly marked on the menu.
- Main focus. Desserts. Gluten Free Gem offers a wide variety of sweets and baked goods ranging from muffins and coffee cakes to cheesecake and cake slices. They make an amazing tiramisu that is our absolute favorite thing on their menu.
- Location. Gluten Free Gem is located on the East side of the river in an area that is fairly close to the river. It is relatively easy to access via public transportation from most downtown areas in the city. Gluten Free Gem is not located particularly close to any major tourist attractions.
- Seating. There is a limited amount of seating options available at Gluten Free Gem. Most people grab their food and take it to go.
Petunia’s Pies and Pastries
Petunia’s Pies and Pastries is another dedicated gluten free and vegan bakery that offers a wide variety of baked goods as well as ice cream. Petunia’s Pies and Pastries is located on the West side of the river in a bustling downtown area that is close to many popular tourist attractions. It is a great place to visit after making a stop at Pioneer Courthouse Square or Washington Park.
- Gluten free status. Petunia’s Pies and Pastries is a dedicated gluten free facility.
- Other dietary restrictions. Petunia’s Pies and Pastries is dedicated to gluten free and vegan baking so all of the items that they carry are also vegan. This means they are perfect for people who maintain a vegan diet or people who have egg and dairy allergies.
- Main focus. Baked goods. Petunia’s Pies and Pastries is dedicated primarily to sweets and baked goods. They also have an ice cream freezer where you can choose from a variety of vegan ice cream flavors.
- Location. Petunia’s is located on the West side of the river in a bustling downtown area. They are close to Pioneer Courthouse Square and Powell’s City of Books. They are also not far from Washington Park and all of the attractions there. It is very easy to get to their bakery via public transportation.
- Seating. There is a limited amount of indoor seating available at Petunia’s. Most people grab a snack and take it to go.
Others gluten free bakeries to look out for
In this section, we will take the time to call out a few additional bakeries you should keep an eye out for when you are in the Portland area. These are bakeries that we have heard good things about, but are not personally as familiar with.
Berlu Bakery is a unique bakery in the Portland scene that offers a range of Vietnamese-inspired treats. All of the baked goods offered at Berlu are gluten free and dairy free. One thing to note about Berlu is that they are only open for a short period of time on Sundays. If you want to make a stop at Berlu, make sure you look up their schedule ahead of time.