Are you wondering which gluten free food truck you should visit on your next trip to Portland, Oregon? Well then you are in the right place! In this article, we talk about all of our favorite Portland food trucks that offer gluten free options.
For each Portland food truck we list in this article, we provide information that will help you determine whether that food truck is best for you. This includes information such as the location of the food truck, the type of cuisine that is offered, and other dietary restrictions that the food truck caters to.
Characteristics of gluten free food trucks
Before we dive into our list of gluten free food trucks in Portland, we will first take a step back and talk about what information we will provide for each food truck. This information will make it easier for you to decide which food truck best suits your tastes.
- Gluten free status. First we will discuss the gluten free status of the food truck. Specifically, we will discuss whether the food truck is dedicated to gluten free food or not.
- Other dietary restrictions. After that, we will discuss the other dietary restrictions that each food truck caters to. For example, some of the food trucks we list are dedicated to food that is both gluten free and vegan.
- Cuisine. We will also provide information about the type of cuisine that is provided at each food truck. This will help you determine which food truck is suited to your particular tastes.
- Location. After that, we will provide information about the location of each food truck. This will include information on what part of the city it is in, whether it is easy to access via public transportation, and what popular Portland attractions it is near.
- Proximity to other food trucks. We will also discuss whether there are other food trucks available in the vicinity. This will be useful information if you are eating with a large group and are looking for a food truck that has other options nearby for people with different tastes.
- Seating. Finally, we will provide information on whether there is seating offered at each food truck. Some of these food trucks are located in food truck parks that are overflowing with seating options and others are located on street corners without many seating options.
Our favorite gluten free food trucks in Portland
Sushi Love is an amazing food truck that is dedicated to gluten free and vegan sushi. Even if you do not eat gluten free, Sushi Love is the best place to go if you are looking for imaginative veggie sushi options in Portland. All of the sushi they make is vegan-friendly, so their veggie sushi options are given a lot of attention and thought.
- Gluten free status. Sushi love is a dedicated gluten free food truck. The owners do not prepare any foods that contain gluten in the truck.
- Other dietary restrictions. Sushi like is also a dedicated vegan food truck. That means it is great for anyone who maintains a vegan diet or anyone who has an allergy to eggs or dairy.
- Cuisine. It should not come as much of a surprise that the Sushi Love food truck is dedicated primarily to serving sushi. They serve a variety of sushi rolls and inari tofu pouches. They also serve a few popular Japanese-inspired sides like miso soup and edamame.
- Location. Sushi Love is located in the Southeast portion of the city and is a little bit further out for downtown than most of the other food trucks we discuss here. It is still accessible via public transportation, but you may have to take a series of buses or trains to get there depending on where you are coming from. While there are not many popular attractions in the immediate vicinity, the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden is just a few miles away.
- Proximity to other food trucks. Sushi Love primarily operates out of the Core PDX, which is a location that hosts a variety of food trucks that are dedicated to different cuisines. That means that there are plenty of options if you are looking to grab a meal with someone who does not love the idea of vegan sushi.
- Seating. Sushi Love operates out of a location that hosts multiple food trucks and has a large variety of seating options available. There is generally a variety of indoor and outdoor seating available, though the indoor seating is sometimes closed when the location is hosting events.
El Pilon is an amazing food truck that is dedicated to Colombian food. They have a wide variety of options ranging from savory entrees to sugary desserts. We placed Sushi Love first on our list because of how unique and creative it is, but El Pilon is probably our true favorite when it comes to Portland food trucks. If you are a cheese lover like me, then this is your spot.
- Gluten free status. El Pilon is dedicated gluten free for the most part. There have been times where they have carried a single dessert item that did contain gluten, but pretty much the entire menu is gluten free.
- Other dietary restrictions. There are also plenty of vegetarian options available.
- Cuisine. El Pilon is primarily dedicated to Colombian food. They carry a wide variety of items ranging from arepas and empanadas to yucca fries and cheese bread. They also have multiple dessert options available for those who are looking for a sweet treat.
- Location. El Pilon is located near the heart of downtown just a few steps away from Tom McCall Waterfront Park. That means that it is the perfect spot for anyone who is looking to grab a quick bite before heading to the waterfront. It is centrally located on the Western side of the river and is very easy to access via public transportation. It is just a short walk away from popular attractions like Voodoo Donut, Ground Kontrol Arcade and Bar, and Powell’s City of Books.
- Proximity to other food trucks. El Pilon is located in a parking lot that usually has a few other food trucks operating out of it. If you are willing to walk a few blocks, then there are many many additional options located just a few minutes walk away.
- Seating. El Pilon food truck is located in a parking lot on a street corner. Because of this, there is not a lot of seating available at the food truck. They often have a table or two that they pull up to the side of the truck, but you are generally best off grabbing food there and taking it somewhere else to eat.
Potato champion is a quirky little food truck that is dedicated to all things french fries. That means that it is the perfect destination for fried food lovers. It is the perfect place to stop for an afternoon snack after a morning exploring the city.
- Gluten free status. Potato champion is not dedicated gluten free, but most of the menu is gluten free. There are a few sauces that can be put on the french fries that do contain gluten, but they are clearly marked on the menu.
- Other dietary restrictions. Vegetarian and vegan options are also clearly marked on their menu.
- Cuisine. Potato champion primarily serves french fries that are dressed in a variety of sauces and toppings. They have a variety of homemade sauces ranging from curry sauce and thai satay sauce to vegan mayo.
- Location. Potato champion is located in the Southeast of Portland relatively close to the river. It is located in an area that has lots of amazing food and dessert options. It is less than a mile from the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. Since it is fairly centrally located, it is easy to access via public transportation.
- Proximity to other food trucks. There are multiple other food trucks located next to potato champion, so it is a great place to visit with friends who have different tastes and preferences.
- Seating. Since potato champion is located at a food truck park, there is plenty of seating available. All of the seating is located outdoors, but there are coverings draped over some of the seats to block out the sun on warm days.
SalviPDX is a tasty food truck that is dedicated to Salvadoran food. Unsurprising, that means that pupusas are front and center on their menu. SalviPDX operates out of multiple locations and has operations at multiple breweries across the city including the dedicated gluten free Ground Breaker Brewery.
- Gluten free status. The gluten free status of the food that SalviPDX carries depends on which location you are visiting. If you are picking up your food at the dedicated gluten free Ground Breaker Brewery, then it is safe to assume that everything they are making is gluten free. If you are visiting them at another location, then it is possible that there might be items that contain gluten that are made at the same site.
- Other dietary restrictions. There are vegan and vegetarian options available.
- Cuisine. SalviPDX is dedicated to Salvadoran food and focuses primarily on pupusas.
- Location. SalviPDX operates out of multiple locations and breweries throughout the city. If you have a gluten intolerance, then we recommend visiting them at Ground Breaker Brewery. This dedicated gluten free brewery is located in the Southeast of the city close to Oregon Museum of Science and Industry.
- Proximity to other food trucks. There are not many food trucks near the location that SalviPDX operates out of. Since most of those locations are standalone Breweries that do not allow you to bring outside food in, it is not as easy to eat with friends and family who want to grab food from other locations.
- Seating. There is plenty of seating available at the Breweries that SalviPDX operates out of. If you visit them at Ground Breaker Brewery, there are a variety of indoor and outdoor seating options.
Other gluten free food trucks to look out for in Portland
In this section, we will mention a few additional food trucks that you might want to make a stop at. There are food trucks that we have heard good things about, but have not visited many times. Since we are not as familiar with these food trucks, we can not talk about them in as much detail.
Honey butter country fare
Honey butter country fare is the perfect destination for gluten free eaters who are looking for the types of food you would usually see at a carnival or a fair. They have a wide variety of fried options ranging from corn dogs and fries to fried dough. One thing to note about this truck is that their hours are limited to the weekends and they sometimes have closures due to the owners being unavailable. If you are just making a quick stop in Portland and you want to visit the Honey Butter Country Fare food truck, make sure to plan for this.
Pollo Norte is a dedicated gluten free food truck that specializes in slow-cooked Mexican chicken. While chicken is their specialty, they do offer a few vegan and vegetarian options. They mainly serve rice bowls that are piled high with beans, cheese, salsa, and other Mexican-inspired toppings.