Are you looking for a cauliflower taco recipe with a little bit of a twist? Then you are in the right place! This recipe for Mediterranean cauliflower tacos is made with an assortment of Mediterranean-inspired ingredients. These tasty tacos are topped with roasted cauliflower, fresh vegetables, feta cheese, and a creamy basil sauce that is made with fresh basil.
These Mediterranean cauliflower tacos are naturally gluten free. In addition to being gluten free, they are also vegetarian friendly, nut free, and egg free. That means that they are a great option for households with an assortment of food allergies and dietary preferences.
What is on these Mediterranean cauliflower tacos?
What is on these Mediterranean-inspired cauliflower tacos? Here are all the toppings that are used to make these Mediterranean cauliflower tacos.
- Harissa roasted cauliflower. Harissa roasted cauliflower is the main topping that is used in this recipe for Mediterranean cauliflower tacos. Fresh cauliflower is tossed in a mixture of harissa and oil then roasted to perfection. When this cauliflower is done cooking, it is crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Tomatoes. Tomatoes are also added to these harissa roasted cauliflower tacos.
- Red onions. Diced red onions are also used to make these Mediterranean cauliflower tacos. If you do not have red onions, you can also use another type of onions. We recommend using a sweet onion like a Vidalia onion if possible.
- Feta. Feta cheese is a key ingredient in this taco recipe. The feta cheese contributes a salty, tangy flavor that provides a nice contrast to the smooth creamy flavor of the creamy basil sauce.
- Creamy basil sauce. The final topping that is added to these Mediterranean cauliflower tacos is the creamy basil sauce. This delicious sauce is so easy to make! All you have to do is throw the ingredients into a blender and blend them until the basil is fully incorporated into the sauce.
What is in harissa roasted cauliflower?
What ingredients are needed to make the harissa roasted cauliflower for these Mediterranean cauliflower tacos? Here are all the ingredients you need to make this harissa roasted cauliflower.
- Cauliflower. The first ingredient needed to make this harissa roasted cauliflower is cauliflower. If you want to make this recipe even easier, you can buy pre-cut cauliflower florets. We often use pre-cut cauliflower florets when we make this recipe.
- Harissa. The next ingredient needed to make this harissa roasted cauliflower is harissa. Specifically, you should use dried harissa seasoning. We generally use this McCormick harissa seasoning when we make this harissa roasted cauliflower.
- Sugar. Some sugar is also added to this recipe for harissa roasted cauliflower. The sweet flavor of the sugar compliments the peppery flavor of the harissa.
- Vegetable oil. The cauliflower is tossed in vegetable oil before it is put in the oven to cook. The vegetable oil adds some fat and helps to ensure that the cauliflower turns out nice and crispy.
- Salt. Finally, some salt is added to the harissa roasted cauliflower. The salt enhances all of the other flavors that are used in this recipe for harissa roasted cauliflower.
How to make harissa roasted cauliflower?
How do you make harissa roasted cauliflower? Here are all the steps you need to take in order to watch this harissa roasted cauliflower.
- Preheat your oven. The first step in making this harissa roasted cauliflower is preheating your oven. You should preheat your oven to 425 degrees before you proceed to the next step.
- Chop the cauliflower. The next step in making harissa roasted cauliflower is to cut the cauliflower in small to medium sized florets. If you use pre-cut cauliflower florets then you can skip this step.
- Toss the cauliflower in spices. After you chop the cauliflower, it is time to toss the cauliflower in spices. Combine all of the ingredients or the harissa roasted cauliflower in a medium sized bowl and mix well. The vegetable oil, harissa, garlic, salt, and sugar should all be combined at this stage.
- Roast the cauliflower. Finally, it is time to roast the cauliflower. Lay the cauliflower out on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper and roast the cauliflower until it is tender.
What is in creamy basil sauce?
What ingredients are used to make the creamy basil sauce that is used on these Mediterranean cauliflower tacos? Here are all the ingredients you need to make this creamy basil sauce.
- Fresh basil. The first ingredient in this creamy basil sauce is basil. You should use fresh basil rather than dried basil.
- Greek yogurt. The next ingredient in the creamy basil sauce is greek yogurt. You should make sure to use plain yogurt that does not have any flavoring in it. Full fat greek yogurt works best, but if you do not have greek yogurt then you can also substitute sour cream for the yogurt.
- Heavy cream. Some heavy cream is added to thin out the sauce and ensure that the creamy basil sauce does not get too thick.
- Garlic. Some fresh garlic is used in the creamy basil sauce. The sharp flavor of the garlic provides a nice contrast to the creamy flavor of the greek yogurt and heavy cream.
- Olive oil. Olive oil is also used in the creamy basil sauce. For best results, you should use a smooth, buttery olive oil such as California Olive Ranch olive oil.
- Salt. Finally, some salt is added to the creamy basil sauce. The salt enhances all of the other flavors that are found in this creamy basil sauce.
How to make creamy basil sauce
How do you make this creamy basil sauce? The best thing about this creamy basil sauce is that it is super easy to make! All you have to do to make this creamy basil sauce is combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a blender and blend them together. You should blend the ingredients until the basil is fully incorporated into the rest of the sauce.
This recipe for creamy basil sauce makes a relatively small serving of sauce, so we recommend using a small blender or food processor. We use the smoothie cup attachment of our favorite Ninja blender and it works perfectly.
Mediterranean cauliflower tacos with creamy basil sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 large tomatoes
Creamy basil sauce
- 1/2 cup basil (fresh, packed)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (full fat)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
Harissa roasted cauliflower
- 1 lb cauliflower florets
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
Harissa roasted cauliflower
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop the cauliflower into small to medium sized florets.
- Toss the cauliflower in vegetable oil, harissa, sugar, and salt.
- Lay the cauliflower out on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper. Roast the cauliflower for 20 – 22 minutes at 425 degrees.
Creamy basil sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients for the creamy basil sauce in a blender. Blend the ingredients until they are fully combined. Store the creamy basil sauce in the refrigerator until needed.
Mediterranean cauliflower tacos
- Chop the tomatoes and red onions into small pieces.
- Lay the harissa roasted cauliflower, tomatoes, red onions, and feta out on the corn tortillas. Top with creamy basil sauce and serve.
Substitutions for Mediterranean cauliflower tacos
- Red onions. If you do not have red onions then you can also use another type of onion. For best results, we recommend using a sweet onion as a replacement.
- Vegetable oil. If you do not have vegetable oil, then you can use another neutral oil.
- Greek yogurt. If you do not have greek yogurt, then you can substitute sour cream for the greek yogurt.