Are you looking for a delicious grain bowl that is made with white beans and feta cheese? Well then you are in the right place! This tasty white bean feta bowl is topped with an assortment of flavorful toppings including a creamy harissa dip that is made with sour cream and feta.
What is in a white bean feta bowl?
What is in this white bean feta bowl? Here are the main ingredients that are used in this white bean feta bowl.
- Rice. Rice is the main base in this white bean feta fowl. We generally use white basmati rice to make this bowl, but you can also use brown rice if you want to make your bowl a little more healthy.
- Spiced white beans. The next ingredient that used to make this white bean feta bowl is white beans. The white beans are dressed in a mixture of olive oil and spices to give them more flavor. We usually use cannellini beans to make this white bean feta bowl. If you cannot find cannellini beans, you can also use another type of white bean.
- Roasted sweet potatoes. Roasted sweet potatoes are tossed in a few spices and added to this white bean feta bowl. Specifically, the potatoes are tossed in salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder before they are roasted. These savory spices help to balance out the sweet flavors of the roasted sweet potatoes.
- Creamy harissa dip. A creamy harissa dip is added to give this white bean feta bowl even more flavor. All you have to do to make this creamy harissa dip is toss a few ingredients in a blender and blend them until smooth.
- Tomatoes. Diced tomatoes are added to this bowl to give it another serving of vegetables. We recommend deseeding the tomatoes before dicing them.
- Feta. Finally, some feta cheese is added to top off this white bean feta bowl. The feta cheese adds an extra burst of salty, tangy flavor to these white bean bowls.
How to make spiced white beans?
How do you make the spiced white beans for this white bean feta bowl? Here are all the ingredients you need to make the spiced white beans.
- White beans. The first ingredient you need to make the spiced white beans is white beans. We generally use canned cannellini beans to make these spiced white beans, but other white beans will work as well.
- Olive oil. The next ingredient you need to make these spiced white beans is olive oil. For best results, we recommend using a smooth, buttery olive oil such as California Olive Ranch olive oil.
- Garlic powder. Garlic powder is the first spice that is used in this recipe for spiced white beans.
- Dried oregano. Oregano is the next herb that is used in this recipe for spiced white beans. Specifically, dried oregano is used to make this recipe. We do not recommend using fresh oregano to make this recipe.
- Dried dill. The last herb that is needed to make these spiced white beans is dill. Specifically, dried dill is used to make these spiced white beans. You can also use fresh dill if you have some laying around.
What is in creamy harissa dip?
What ingredients are used in the recipe for creamy harissa dip? Here are all the ingredients you need to make this creamy harissa dip.
- Harissa. The first ingredient that is used to make this creamy harissa dip is dried harissa seasoning. We use harissa seasoning from McCormick when we make this dip and we love it.
- Sour cream. Sour cream is the main base that is used for this creamy harissa dip. For best results, you should use regular sour cream rather than light sour cream.
- Feta. Feta cheese is blended with the sour cream to complete the base of this creamy harissa dip. The feta cheese will be blended, so you can either use pe-crumbled feta cheese or a block of feta cheese that has been cut into smaller pieces.
- Olive oil. Olive oil is also used in this creamy harissa dip. For best results, you should use a buttery olive oil like this California Olive Ranch olive oil. If you use a strongly flavored olive oil, it may overpower the other flavors in the creamy harissa dip.
- Lemon juice. Some lemon juice is added to this creamy harissa dip to add a little bit of acidity. This brightens up the flavor of the dip and ensures that it does not get too heavy.
- Sugar. Finally, some sugar is added to this creamy harissa dip. The sweet flavor of the sugar mellows out the peppery flavor of the harissa seasoning.
How to make creamy harissa dip
How do you make the creamy harissa dip that is used in these white bean feta bowls? All you need to do to make the creamy harissa dip is combine the ingredients for the dip in a small blender and blend until smooth. Since this recipe makes a relatively small portion of creamy harissa dip, we recommend using a small blender or food processor. We use the smoothie attachment of our favorite Ninja blender and it works perfectly!
How to store leftover white bean feta bowls
How do you store leftover white bean feta bowls? For best results, we recommend storing the rice and sweet potatoes separately from the other ingredients. That is because the other ingredients in these white beans do not need to be reheated. It will be easier to prepare leftovers if the ingredients that do need to be heated are already in the same bowl.
How to reheat leftover white bean feta bowls
How do you reheat leftover white bean feta bowls? The only ingredients in these white bean feta bowls that need to be reheated are the rice and sweet potatoes. Both rice and sweet potatoes reheat well in the microwave, so we recommend heating these ingredients in the microwave. You should reheat the rice and sweet potatoes on full power for 90 – 120 seconds or until they are heated throughout. You may need to stir the rice and sweet potatoes once or twice to make sure that they heat evenly.
The rest of the ingredients for the white bean feta bowls should be added to the rice and sweet potatoes after they have already been reheated.
White bean feta bowl with creamy harissa dip
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 2 large tomatoes
Roasted sweet potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
Spied white beans
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Creamy harissa dip
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp sugar
Roasted sweet potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop the sweet potatoes into cubes that are about 1 inch in length.
- Toss the sweet potatoes in garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Lay the sweet potatoes out on a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper.If you want your roasted sweet potatoes to be crispy on the outside, make sure not to overcrowd the backing sheet.
- Bake potatoes at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cook the rice according to the instructions on the package. The exact amount of water that is needed and the cook time will vary depending on the type of rice you use.
Spiced white beans
- Mix the ingredients for the spiced white beans in a medium sized bowl.
Creamy harissa dip
- Combine all of the ingredients for the creamy harissa dip in a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
White bean feta bowls
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes and dice them into small pieces.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the white bean feta bowls over rice.
- Basmati rice. We generally use white basmati rice to make this white bean feta bowl. However, you can also use another long grained white rice to make this bowl. If you want to make your white bean feta bowl a little more healthy, you can also use brown rice.
- Cannellini beans. If you do not have cannellini beans, you can use another type of white bean like navy beans or great northern beans.
- Dried dill. You can use fresh dill rather than dried dill in the spiced white beans if you have any lying around. A simple 1:1 substitution will work fine.
Other recipes you will love
- Mediterranean dips & sauces
- Our favorite dill recipes
- Vegetarian sweet potato recipes
- Cannellini bean recipes