Are you looking for a nice place where you can enjoy a gluten free sit down meal in Lowell, Massachusetts? Or maybe you are looking for a quick place to grab a gluten free meal on the go? Well either way, you are in the right place! In this article, we talk about some of our favorite gluten free restaurants in Lowell, Massachusetts.
For each restaurant we discuss in this article, we will provide information on a few different characteristics to help you determine which restaurant is best for your tastes. We start this article out by outlining the characteristics that we will provide information on. After that, we talk about some of our favorite sit down restaurants in Lowell, Massachusetts. Next, we talk about some of our favorite fast casual spots and cafes in Lowell, Massachusetts.
Characteristics of gluten free restaurants in Lowell
What characteristics will we describe to provide more information on each of the restaurants we mention in this article? Here are the characteristics we will describe.
- Gluten free status. First, we will discuss the gluten free status of each restaurant. We will discuss whether each restaurant is dedicated to gluten free food or not. If the restaurant is not dedicated to gluten free food, we will provide additional information to help assess the risk of cross contamination.
- Other dietary restrictions. After that, we will provide information on any other food allergies and dietary restrictions that the restaurant caters to. Some restaurants cater specifically to gluten free patrons, whereas others can handle a wide range of allergies and dietary restrictions.
- Cuisine. We will also describe the type of food that is served at each restaurant. We will provide information on the main type of cuisine that the menu draws inspiration from. We will also provide information on any specialties that the restaurant has.
- Atmosphere. After that, we will discuss the atmosphere at each restaurant. This will include information about the energy level and level of formality at each restaurant. It will also include information on the decor and ambiance of each restaurant.
- Location. Next, we will discuss the location of each restaurant. This will include information on whether each restaurant is located in the downtown area or farther out in the outskirts of town. It will also include information on whether each restaurant is accessible via public transportation and whether there are good parking options available.
- Seating. Finally, we will provide information on the seating options that are available at each restaurant. This will include information on whether indoor or outdoor seating is available. It will also include information on whether there is usually a wait to get a seat and whether reservations are recommended.
Gluten free sit down restaurants in Lowell
Now that we have laid out the characteristics we will use to describe each restaurant, we will discuss some of our favorite restaurants in Lowell. We will list these restaurants roughly in order of preference, with our favorite spots appearing near the top of the list.
Panela is an amazing Colombian restaurant that is located just outside of downtown Lowell. Our absolute favorite thing about Panela is the quality of the food – Panela truly has some of the best food around! While Panela is not a dedicated gluten free facility, the majority of the items on the menu are naturally gluten free. That means that there are lots of delicious options to choose from. We particularly love all of their crispy fried foods.
- Gluten free status. Panela is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, the majority of the items on the menu are gluten free or can easily be made gluten free. Items that are gluten free are clearly labeled on the menu. They usually have a dedicated gluten free fryer available.
- Other dietary restrictions. There are many vegan and vegetarian items on the menu. The vegan and vegetarian options are not labeled, but they are generally easy to spot.
- Cuisine. The menu at Panela focuses primarily on Colombian food. There is a large selection of arepas on the menu, but there are also many other options if you are in the mood for something different.
- Atmosphere. Panela has a very warm and inviting atmosphere that makes it a really fun place to grab a meal. The friendly and accommodating staff are another one of our favorite things about Panela.
- Location. Panela is located right outside of Lowell’s main downtown area. It is located near multiple popular attractions, such as the Tsongas Arena and City Hall. Since Panela is located near a bustling downtown area, it is generally possible to access via public transportation. There is street parking available nearby and downtown parking garages are just a few blocks away.
- Seating. There is both indoor and outdoor seating available at Panela. There is a lot of seating available, so it is generally possible to get a seat without a reservation.
Blue Taleh is a great Japanese restaurant that is located right in the heart of downtown Lowell. While Blue Taleh also has some delicious food, our favorite thing about the restaurant is the wonderful view from their outdoor seating area. The restaurant is located along the river and the outdoor seating area has a nice view of the river and a nearby bridge. We love coming to Blue Taleh when the weather is nice and the flowers are in bloom.
- Gluten free status. Blue Taleh is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, they have a whole gluten free menu that shows exactly what can and can not be made gluten free. A large portion of the menu is naturally gluten free or can be made gluten free with small modifications.
- Other dietary restrictions. Blue Taleh has a large assortment of vegan and vegetarian options as well. Vegan and vegetarian options are not labeled on the menu, but they are generally pretty easy to spot.
- Cuisine. The menu at Blue Taleh focuses primarily on Japanese food. In particular, they have a large sushi menu with options for vegans and meat eaters alike. Blue Taleh also serves some Thai-inspired dishes like curries and noodle dishes.
- Atmosphere. Blue Taleh has a quaint little spot that has a relatively laid back atmosphere. This is a great place to go when you are looking to relax and unwind. Their outdoor seating area has a particularly nice ambiance as it overlooks one of the main rivers that run through downtown Lowell.
- Location. Blue Taleh is located right in the heart of downtown Lowell. It is on a popular street that is lined with restaurants and shops. Since Blue Taleh is located in a bustling downtown area, it is generally fairly easy to access via public transportation. There are also public parking garages available nearby.
- Seating. There is both indoor and outdoor seating available at Blue Taleh. That being said, we highly recommend opting for the outdoor seating when the weather is nice. Their outdoor patio has really nice views of the river. It is generally possible to get a seat without reservations.
Tavern in the Square
Tavern in the Square is one of the best restaurant chains in the New England area for anyone who is looking to get a safe gluten free meal that is free of cross contamination. Tavern in the Square is a sports bar and restaurant that generally has a pretty lively atmosphere, so it is a great place to go to meet up with friends or celebrate a special occasion.
- Gluten free status. Tavern in the Square is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, gluten free options are clearly labeled on their menu. The staff are very well informed about how items on the menu are prepared, so they can serve as a resource that can help you assess the risk of cross contamination. There is usually a dedicated gluten free fryer available, so fried items are also on the table. As if this all wasn’t enough, they also use allergy flags to give you even more confidence that you have received the right dish.
- Other dietary restrictions. Tavern in the Square also has plenty of vegetarian options available. Vegetarian options are clearly labeled on the menu.
- Cuisine. Tavern in the Square serves American cuisine and has options ranging from sandwiches and burgers to steaks and pizzas.
- Atmosphere. Tavern in the Square is a restaurant and sports bar that typically has a pretty lively atmosphere. The atmosphere can get particularly rowdy during important sporting events like playoffs and tournaments, especially when Boston teams are in the running. This is a fun place to go to get drinks with friends or watch a game.
- Location. Tavern in the Square is located on the outskirts of Lowell in an area that has many commercial buildings and big box stores. Since it is farther outside of the main downtown area, it is not as easy to access via public transportation. That being said, parking is ample.
- Seating. There is both indoor and outdoor seating available at Tavern in the Square. It is often possible to get a seat without a reservation, but we recommend making a reservation a day or two in advance if you plan to go during peak weekend dining hours.
Gluten free fast casual restaurants in Lowell
Now that we have talked about our favorite sit down restaurants in Lowell, we will take some time to discuss our favorite fast casual restaurants that offer gluten free options in Lowell. These are spots we like to go to when we want to grab a quick meal on the run.
Rizzo’s Roast Beef and Pizza
Rizzo’s Roast Beef and Pizza is a sub shop and pizzeria that is located just outside of the main downtown area in Lowell. This is one of the better pizza joints in Lowell when it comes to allergy protocols and measures that are taken to prevent cross contamination. It is our go to spot when we want to grab a slice of pizza in the Lowell area.
- Gluten free status. Rizzo’s is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, they take measures to prevent cross contamination when they make gluten free pizzas. For example, gluten free pizzas are cooked in tin trays with rims so that they never touch the pizza oven.
- Other dietary restrictions. There are plenty of vegetarian options available at Rizzo’s. You just have to make sure not to add any meat-based toppings to your pizza.
- Cuisine. Rizzo’s serves typical American cuisine. Rizzo’s is a pizzeria and sandwich shop that serves a wide variety of options ranging from pizzas and sandwiches to soups and pastas.
- Atmosphere. The atmosphere at Rizzo’s is similar to that at your usual pizza joint or sub shop. The staff are generally friendly and accommodating.
- Location. Rizzo’s is located just outside of the main downtown area in Lowell. That means that it is generally accessible via public transportation and there are public parking garages in the general area. You might just need to take a little bit of a walk.
- Seating. All of the seating at Rizzo’s is located indoors. Most people grab their meal to go or order delivery, so it is generally not competitive to get a seat.
Other gluten free restaurants in Lowell
Before we wrap up, we will take a minute to give a few shout outs to other restaurants in the Lowell area that have good gluten free options. These are places that we have only been to once or twice, so we do not have as much to say about them as we do about the restaurants we mentioned above. That being said, they are all excellent spots that we highly recommend.
Sizzling Kitchen is a fun spot with a large and varied menu that borrows elements from many different cuisines. Specifically, the menu at Sizzling Kitchen takes inspiration from Vietnamese, Korean, Thai, and Italian cuisine. This is a great spot to go if you love variety and you want to sample a few different cuisines. It is hard to find gluten free Korean food in the Massachusetts area, so this is a great spot!
- Best North American cities for gluten free food
- Gluten free food in Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Boston, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Burlington, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Manchester, New Hampshire
- Gluten free restaurants near Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire