Are you looking for a nice place to enjoy a gluten free meal in Cambridge, Massachusetts? Or maybe you are looking for a place to grab a quick gluten free meal on the go? Well either way, you are in the right place! In this article, we discuss all of our favorite restaurants that offer gluten free options in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
For each restaurant that we discuss in this article, we provide information on characteristics of the restaurant such as the location and atmosphere. We start this article out by discussing the characteristics that we will use to provide more information on each of these restaurants. After that, we discuss some of our favorite sit down restaurants in Cambridge, Massachusetts. After we talk about our favorite sit down restaurants, we take some time to discuss our favorite fast casual restaurants in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Note that we only discuss restaurants in the Cambridge and Somerville area in this article. If you are looking for advice on where you can get good gluten free food in Boston proper, you can check out our article on gluten free restaurants in Boston, Massachusetts. If you check out our article on restaurants in Boston, you might find that we do not necessarily rave about them the way we do in this article. That is because we firmly believe that some of the best food in the Greater Boston area is found in Cambridge and Somerville.
Characteristics of gluten free restaurants in Cambridge
Here are the characteristics that we will use to provide more information on each restaurant that we mention in the article.
- Gluten free status. First we will talk about the gluten free status of each Cambridge restaurant. First, we will specify whether each restaurant is dedicated to gluten free food. If a restaurant is not dedicated to gluten free food, we will provide more information to help assess the risk of cross contamination.
- Other dietary restrictions. After that, we will talk about other dietary restrictions that each restaurant caters to. Some of the gluten free restaurants we mention in this article cater to patrons with a wide variety of food allergies and dietary restrictions. Others specifically cater to patrons with gluten intolerances and celiac disease.
- Cuisine. Next, we will provide more information on the type of cuisine that is served at each restaurant. This will help you find the restaurant that best suits your tastes.
- Location. After that, we will provide more information on the location of each restaurant. This will include information on landmarks and neighborhoods that each restaurant is located near. It will also include information on whether each restaurant is easy to access via public transportation.
- Atmosphere. Next, we will include information about the atmosphere of each restaurant. This might include information about the decor, customers, waitstaff, or just the general vibe of each restaurant.
- Seating. Finally, we will discuss the seating options that are available at each restaurant. This will include information on whether outdoor seating is available. It will also include information on whether reservations are required.
Gluten free sit down restaurants in Cambridge
In this section, we will discuss some of our favorite sit down restaurants in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Note that this list is arranged roughly in order of preference, with our favorite gluten free restaurants appearing closer to the top of the list.
Gustanzo Cuban Kitchen & Bar
We will start out by saying that Gustanzo Cuban Kitchen & Bar is without a doubt one of our favorite restaurants in the Greater Boston area. There is a lot to love about Gustanzo. The food is delicious, and always beautifully presented. Their dishes have unique flavor combinations that just make sense. And if that wasn’t enough, the service is excellent and the seating area is tastefully decorated. All of this comes together to produce a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Gluten free status. Glustanzo is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, gluten free options are clearly labeled on the menu. The labels on the menu also distinguish between items that are naturally gluten free and items that can be made gluten free with substitutions or eliminations.
- Other dietary restrictions. Gustanzo also labels dishes that are naturally vegan or can be made vegan upon request on the menu. There are a few different options for people who maintain a vegan diet, and a larger range of options available for people who maintain a vegetarian diet.
- Cuisine. The menu at Gustanzo focuses primarily on Cuban cuisine. Many of the items are served tapas style, with the intention that you can order a few small plates to share.
- Location. Gustanzo is conveniently located just a few steps away from Davis Square. That means that it is relatively easy to access via public transportation. That also means that it is located in a lively downtown area that has other restaurants and bars around.
- Atmosphere. Gustanzo has a warm and inviting atmosphere. It is nicely decorated to match all of the perfectly presented food. The staff are also friendly and attentive.
- Seating. There is a lot of seating available at Gustanzo, particularly in the warmer months when the outdoor seating is fully opened. They have a decently sized indoor seating area, as well as two outdoor seating areas in front of and behind their restaurant. Since there is a lot of seating available, they are often able to accommodate walk-ins. That being said, you may want to call ahead if you plan to arrive during peak weekend dinner hours in the colder months when the outdoor seating is closed.
Sugar & Spice Thai
Sugar & Spice Thai is another true gem in the Cambridge area. Sugar & Spice Thai is a Thai restaurant that serves a variety of Thai dishes that originate from different areas of Thailand. They break their menu into different sections that correspond to different regions in Thailand. This means that if you find one dish you really like, it is easy to find other dishes that use similar flavors. As if their delicious food wasn’t enough, their seating areas are also nicely decorated with fun accents that provide nice ambiance.
- Gluten free status. Sugar & Spice Thai is not a dedicated gluten free facility. That being said, gluten free options are clearly marked on their menu. They have a huge assortment of gluten free options that goes above and beyond what is available at similar restaurants in the area.
- Other dietary restrictions. Sugar & Spice Thai also clearly labels vegan options on the menu. There are a wide range of dishes that can be made vegan or vegetarian friendly.
- Cuisine. Sugar & Spice Thai serves primarily Thai cuisine. They serve dishes that are popular in a few different areas in Thailand and denote which region each dish comes from on the menu.
- Location. Sugar and Spice Thai is conveniently located in Porter Square. That means that it is also fairly accessible via public transportation. That also means that there are generally reasonable parking options available in the surrounding area.
- Atmosphere. Sugar & Spice Thai has a fun and upbeat atmosphere. There are cute decorations scattered throughout all of the seating areas that help to maintain this atmosphere. During the warmer months, the outdoor seating area is nicely decorated with lots of plants and greenery. Inside, there are a lot of fun, colorful lighting fixtures that really lighten up the mood.
- Seating. Sugar and Spice Thai has a mixture of indoor and outdoor seating available. Both their indoor and outdoor seating areas are on the smaller side, so they can fill up during peak weekend dinner hours. They have an online waitlist that you can add yourself to if you plan to arrive during these times.
Gluten free fast casual restaurants in Cambridge
Now that we have discussed our favorite sit down restaurants in Cambridge, we will discuss some of our favorite fast casual restaurants in Cambridge. Note that this list is arranged roughly in order of preference, with our favorite restaurants appearing closer to the top of the list.
Carolicious Venezuelan Food
Carolicious is an amazing Venezuelan restaurant that makes the best arepas we have ever had. Carolicious is without a doubt our favorite place to grab a quick meal on the go. And we are not just talking about our favorite place in Boston or our favorite place in New England. Out of all of the fast casual restaurants and cafes where we have ever gone to grab a meal, this one is our favorite.
- Gluten free status. Carolicious is for the most part a dedicated gluten free establishment. There have been times when they have carried a one off item that was not gluten free, but most of the time their entire menu is gluten free. That means that you do not have to worry about cross contamination when eating there.
- Other dietary restrictions. There are a decent number of vegetarian options available at Carolicious. Vegetarian options are not necessarily labeled on the menu, but they are easy to spot.
- Cuisine. The menu at Carolicious focuses primarily on Venezuelan cuisine. Most of their menu is made up with arepas that are stuffed with all kinds of flavorful fillings. If you are not in the mood for an arepa, they also offer rice bowls that are piled high with the same fillings and sauces.
- Location. Carolicious is located inside of Aeronaut Brewery, which is about a 15 minute walk from Inman Square in Cambridge. It is a little bit more out of the way than some of the other restaurants that we have mentioned, but it is adjacent to some popular fitness studios and climbing gyms.
- Atmosphere. Since Carolicious is located inside a popular Brewery, the atmosphere is pretty lively and upbeat. During the warmer months, the outdoor seating in the Aeronaut Brewery courtyard is opened. This is when the atmosphere is at its best. The walls of the courtyard are painted with colorful murals and string lights are hung over the courtyard to provide lighting at night. It is such a fun, scenic place to hang out.
- Seating. Since Carolicious is located inside a large brewery, there is a large amount of seating available. This is especially true during the warmer months when the outdoor seating is open. Although there is a large amount of seating available, Aeronaut Brewery is a really popular spot that can get crowded late at night on Fridays and Saturdays. If you plan to go there on a weekend night, you might be best off heading over a little on the early side.
Grainmaker is another great option if you are looking for an easy place to grab a gluten free meal in the Cambridge area. Grainmaker is a chain of fast casual restaurants that serve Asian-inspired food in the Greater Boston area. Their kitchens are 100% gluten free, so you can grab a quick meal there without having to worry about cross contamination.
- Gluten free status. Grainmaker is a dedicated gluten free establishment.
- Other dietary restrictions. In addition to being gluten free, the food served at Grainmaker is also 100% dairy free. That means that it is a great option for anyone who also has a dairy intolerance. Vegan options are also labeled on their menu. There are multiple vegan and vegetarian options available.
- Cuisine. Grainmaker serves Asian-inspired noodle dishes and rice bowls. They have a large variety of pre-made bowls you can order off of their menu. If there is not a bowl that suits your preferences, you can also create your own bowl with your choice of base, protein, vegetables, and sauces.
- Location. The Grainmaker location in the Cambridge-Somerville area is located right in the heart of Davis Square. It is in a bustling downtown area with many restaurants and bars. It is also very easily accessible via public transportation.
- Atmosphere. The atmosphere at Grainmaker is relatively similar to the atmosphere at any other fast casual restaurant that is on the nicer side.
- Seating. There is primarily indoor seating available at the Somerville location. There are not a huge number of tables available, but most people do grab their food and take it to go. That means that it is not too competitive to find a seat most of the time.
Other gluten free restaurants in Cambridge
Before we wrap up, we will take a moment to shout out to some other great restaurants that are located in the Cambridge area. These are restaurants that we have been to once or twice and immensely enjoyed. The only reason that we did not include them in the previous sections is because we are not as familiar with them.
Alden & Harlow
Alden & Harlow is another restaurant in the Cambridge area that has really top notch American food. All of their dishes have fun and unique flavor combinations that really make this restaurant stand out. While they are not a dedicated gluten free facility and their menu is not labeled with gluten free options, they are very accommodating. If you tell them that you have a gluten allergy, their staff can take a menu and mark it up for you.
Puritan & Company
Puritan & Company is another restaurant in the Cambridge area that is known to have really high quality food. Puritan & Company is a farm-to-table restaurant that features modern takes on traditional New England classics. They are not a dedicated gluten free restaurant and they do not have a gluten free menu, but the staff is very knowledgeable and many of the menu items can be modified to be gluten free.
- Best North American cities for gluten free food
- Gluten free restaurants in Boston, Massachusetts
- Gluten free restaurants in Vancouver
- Gluten free restaurants in Toronto, Ontario
- Gluten free restaurants in Portland, Oregon
- Gluten free restaurants in Las Vegas, Nevada
- Gluten free restaurants in Savannah, Georgia
- Gluten free restaurants in Santa Monica, California
- Gluten free restaurants in Tampa, Florida